NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 15th, 2013, 15:00
NAXJA Member

Re: Joel's multipurpose XJ build (rocks/boulevard)

At it's closest the muffler about a half inch clear but it varies between about a half inch and an inch because of the contours down there. Yes the factory heat sheild is still there. If a couple amateurs can build this in a driveway I have to assume a pro-shop with a lift would have no issues.

Floorboards get noticably warm to the touch but I've been driving it this way for quite some time with no ill effects.

Last edited by frijolee; March 15th, 2013 at 15:17.
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:00
NAXJA Member

Any other comments on the exhaust design theory? I'm coming from the go-fast world, but I thought Vizard's work was fascinating stuff.

For what it's worth, Vizard's kind of an old guy and claims to have more than a quarter million dyno pulls under his belt. He showed curves of a small block chevy making an extra 40 ft/lbs of torque across the midrange through the use of tuned length header design.
Old March 26th, 2013, 15:39
NAXJA Member

Fyi, I've tried to make a few forum suggestions and got really blown off by a few "members" the latest of whom basically told me to head for the cherokee forum instead.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...#post245884358

Am I wasting my time here and/or does anyone care about a build thread done differently? About 2/3rds of folks on the forum aren't part of this here elitist "club". At the same time I don't see anyone else posting the math behind how to design parts on here.
Old March 26th, 2013, 16:37
NAXJA Forum User

FWIW, I'm subscribed and following pretty closely. If you decide to move the build thread, post a link - I've enjoyed it.
Old March 26th, 2013, 18:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
you're not really supposed to weld 7075 though, it's no bueno. sure does machine well though. i use it for the bicycle parts i machine and sell since it wears much better than any other aluminum i've found.

ps, i was an engineer too so i'm fairly familiar with the properties of metals. manufacturing engineer though.

Nice build, not surprised you're an engineer (I'm a MET student)

As for the welding, here is a nice chart for selecting filler metals depending on the base metals. 7075 can be welded and retain most of its strength when using less common welding rods. The part will loose its heat treat though.

http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/support...tion-Chart.pdf

~Alex
Old March 26th, 2013, 18:59
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skits View Post
FWIW, I'm subscribed and following pretty closely. If you decide to move the build thread, post a link - I've enjoyed it.
I don't think I'm going anywhere. It mostly just pissed me off that I was trying to be helpful and I've already spent quite a bit of time volunteering info only to have a few dudes talk $--t because they plunked down $ for a service that is typically free (with the acknowledgement that advertizing is the cost of free).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex22 View Post
Nice build, not surprised you're an engineer (I'm a MET student)

As for the welding, here is a nice chart for selecting filler metals depending on the base metals. 7075 can be welded and retain most of its strength when using less common welding rods. The part will loose its heat treat though.

http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/support...tion-Chart.pdf

~Alex
Great link. Thank you. I just printed a copy. Do you have anything similar for steels (cast iron, stainless, etc)? I always dig on reference materials.
Old March 26th, 2013, 19:07
NAXJA Member

Re: Re: Joel's multipurpose XJ build (rocks/boulevard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijolee View Post
Well frijolee I got myself inserted into that conversation... Oops. I'm surprised there wasn't more support. Anyway I am modeling my Cherokee after yours... So two thumbs up. I like your build so far, and I like the detail you've put into it. Keep up the good work.
Old March 26th, 2013, 19:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
It mostly just pissed me off that I was trying to be helpful and I've already spent quite a bit of time volunteering info only to have a few dudes talk $--t because they plunked down $ for a service that is typically free (with the acknowledgement that advertizing is the cost of free).
You're personal view of this Club is irrelevant to your "Build Thread"

You are out of line, and you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Old March 26th, 2013, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

Oh come on man, you know you have plenty of people following this thread. And there are lots of philosophies about how to run a "club" but putting all that asside, have you been to jeepforum lately? Those ads on every single picture make me want to NEVER go back.

And in case you didn't know, you've got a serious problem: you're not normal pal, you're an engineer! I like your thread but even if I had the time & skill & money I wouldn't build a skid like that. It's just not my style or whatever. I'd rather just replace my $50 muffler if I loose in along the way. But I think your skid build was sweet and I'm glad you posted it - just different strokes for different folks right? (I work with engineers and got my MBA with a buch as well, you strike me as one of those "socially functional" engineers - you probably don't even think you have a problem! )

Anyway, I was at a rally recently regarding public lands and our right to use them and one of the speakers said something that resonated with me: We put thousands upon thousands of dollars into our rigs but then balk at paying $50 in dues. Well he was talking to me! Clubs like spend time and money engaged in activities which keep MY trails open. So I just paid my membership fee - heck it's membership drive, maybe I'll win something. You should join up too and go on some club rides and meet-n-greets if you haven't. seems to be about much more than just the forum...
Old March 26th, 2013, 20:32
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB9YZU View Post
You're personal view of this Club is irrelevant to your "Build Thread"

You are out of line, and you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
I prefer to be the one to decide what's relevant to my build thread. Given the frustrations with a few members today, I momentarily debated whether this thread should continue and that was worth some discussion here. A serious question as you look at the couple threads I was involved in today: Is this how you want to present your club? For instance, to the guy who suggested I should leave for suggesting I preferred a different structure and because I did so not knowing the bylaws... did you tell him he was out of line? You certainly didn't do so publicly, like you just did to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2WANIT View Post
Oh come on man, you know you have plenty of people following this thread. And there are lots of philosophies about how to run a "club" but putting all that asside, have you been to jeepforum lately? Those ads on every single picture make me want to NEVER go back.
To the people following comment, to be honest I'm not sure sometimes. It seems like it gets some folks looking at it, but then I spend a full lunch hour writing up some of the most interesting vehicle design info I've ever run across (the exhaust post) and I mostly get crickets. Maybe engineers just thrive on discussion of ideas, but mostly I picture folks shaking their heads and going, "this guy's nuts..." That kind of makes me smile too, but you're right, even though I really dig wheeling, I dig building something interesting even more.

I haven't really looked at any other forums other than when stuff pops up in a google searches. I am still pretty new to the Jeep world. That said, I do have some Cherokee pride and for XJ's this seemed like the preferred place to be. There are some ridiculously awesome builds on here and some amazingly talented fabricators. There's also apparently a few folks who'll take a guy to task without a lot of provocation.

-Joel

Last edited by frijolee; March 26th, 2013 at 20:57.
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:23
NAXJA Forum User

^Don't get caught up in all the drama dude. I love this thread and I hope it keeps delivering. Your work is fresh and contemporary take on a vehicle that mostly get hacked up and rigged.

I come to naxja, because it seems to have the most collective experience when talking Cherokees. Sure there's some BS here and there. But every forum has that. Brush past those who don't listen, and move about you day.

Anyways, I think it's time for a new challenge... Big brakes. You're an engineer, this would be the perfect task. Brembo srt8 calipers.
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:27
NAXJA Member

On the BS front. I agree, just had to get my head back on straight after the whiplash WTF moments yesterday.

As to big brakes. I really want to do it. The brakes on this thing are underpowered already and it's only going to get worse if I just up a tire size. Did I read somewhere that you can do a booster swap that helps? Can't remember.

I'm wheel limited by my 15s at the moment so if I did go after big brakes it would probably happen at the same time a new wheels and tires. If I'm doing that it means heavy axles (from my reading it seems like stockish D60 front, 14B rear would be good for most things). If I'm running heavy axles, then maybe I should do that engine swap (or maybe not, there's still CA smog to consider and I already told y'all that story)... Anyways, I'm sure you all know how these things snowball. It just makes for a much bigger tear down than I'm planning in the short run.

In the meantime I still do need to truss the D30 front and redo my track bar mount.

But since you mentioned it :-)

And because this thread is sorely in need of more pictures, I did do a DIY version of big brakes on my RX7. It's based on the stock calipers, but split, powdercoated, widened w/ longer bridge bolts. (If you're going to advertise for sale, please obtain Vendor status. I got dunned for that as well...)

Assembly:

Ready for install:

Final version (two piece, curved vane rotors from a 350z, 2" larger diameter, 1/4" thicker than stock):

Last edited by 5-90; March 27th, 2013 at 22:29.
Old March 27th, 2013, 17:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Great link. Thank you. I just printed a copy. Do you have anything similar for steels (cast iron, stainless, etc)? I always dig on reference materials.
Here's some good reading for you, but in general steels can be more forgiving on weld strength, filler metals can differ depending on method as well.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...ature/C150.pdf

http://www.advancedweldingsupply.com/charts.html

and how to decode the filer metal part number
ftp://doaftp1380.wi.gov/master_spec/...0Selection.pdf

~Alex
Old April 2nd, 2013, 15:01
NAXJA Member

Hope you continue the thread, Ive been following it looking for ideas for my jeep. The brake booster swap i believe is for the renix era swaping in the booster of the 94-96 jeep (someone correct me if IM wrong). as far as brakes go, I think my friend told me the brakes from a crown vic swap on, cant remember for sure.
Old April 4th, 2013, 13:19
NAXJA Member

The best info on brakes upgrades I've found to date is here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004721

I think you're right about the earlier xj's being the ones to benefit from the wj booster.