• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blowing Black Smoke

ipower

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a new member and already love this forum. I've got an '89 XJ that's running rough and blowing black smoke. Just replaced the fuel pressure regulator and it didn't do anything. Noticed a leak where the hose connects to the fuel rail. What does it take to fix that connection?
Thanks,
greg (ipower)

Welcome to NAXJA Greg.

My 88 had a similar condition yesterday/this morning...accompanied by a rough/low idle and a 10 MPG drop. I was advised to look at the vacuum line that connects the throttle body to the MAP-ManifoldAirPressure Sensor (MAP is on the firewall, a little to the driver's side of center) Sure enough, the hose got unhooked. Since you were recently working on this side of the engine, as I was, I'd look there first.

As for the fuel leak, the dealership sells an o-ring kit for both the feed and return lines @ $10-15 for both IIRC . I'd install both (even if the rear one was undisturbed doing your pressure reg.)

Hope this helped and come back with a report on that MAP line.

I have a similar problem with my '87XJ. Well maybe not. My fuel pressure regulator leaks in the middle where the diaphram would be. I have already changed the pressure regulator and got the same problem. Could it be two bad regulators or something else causing this? Two much or not enough vaccum? Help!

Kenny
1987 & 2000 XJ

Back