• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Spark Plug Question

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
Just taking a quick poll here before I head down to the parts store. I'm looking at either the Champion Truck Plugs or champion's platinum plug. Which is better for my rig? I still don't really have a good idea as to what exactly the platinum does for the plug, but the platinum ones are a bit cheaper than the truck plugs. Thanks for any info.

Platinums are cheaper? Dunno if I should be, but I am surprised.

I don't like platinum plugs. I've heard too many scare stories about the tip breaking off and damaging valves and/or pistons. I'd go with the truck plugs.

I have run platinums. You don't get improved performance-you supossedly get a longer run between changes. If you muss and fuss with your rig as much as most of these guys, you will not get any advantage from platinums. I don't intend to run them again.

I run Splitfire Platinums-- & like 'em.

Just say no

I have had bad luck with platinums and have read other posts on this board with the same problems. Sometimes the platinums will cause misfires and/or problems associated with the ignition control. My van had a misfire and a code problem soon after installation. When I replaced the plugs both went away. I tried them in the XJ too but noticed a slight misfire. My best performance has come from an OEM type plug. I read in a car magazine that if your car didn't come originally with platinum plugs that the big three are not recommending them as replacements.

I have 180,000+ miles on my 98XJ, I only run OEM champions. I also only buy them from the dealer, the reason is I compared the same model champion from an auto parts store with the dealer supplied ones and the ones from the store looked different, thinner components, you could line up those plugs and pick the odd ball out with no problem.
Might want to also add a set of the mopar high performance plug wires while you are at it along with cap n rotor too.
I also had bad luck with plats, put a set of NGK's in my trooper II and it just started running worse and worse, misses mostly but my milage really suffered, went back to AC/DELCO which were what were in it.

Wow - I've run 150,000+ miles of Bosch Platinums and won't say anything about the good luck I've had with them lest I tempt the Jeep Gods into fighting me...

Personally I don't think Splitfire are worth it. There was some legal issue with them making claims I heard. The 4.0L runs very good on plain plugs so unless you want the longer life I would just stick with plain old Champions.

Back