• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No welder, will clamps do????

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Well i want to cut off my exhaust from the muffler back and just add a turn down. That pretty chrome tip got pretty bent up today and now its rattle against my leafs. But no welder, so can i just buy a big enough exhaust clamp and make it work that way?

ok i know this is a stupid question. went outside to measure the outlet on my muffler and i used a dial caliper, but its been like a year since ive had to use one and im not exatly sure what my readings came out to be. It read 2 and then 4 then the dial read 30 so is that basically 2.5"? and also what size turn down do i need to buy? if i want it to slide over the muffler a bit and then clamp it.

Hey I can help you read the calipers it's 2.430" in other words .06" under 4 1/2". for future ref the big 1 2 3 is inches the smaller numbers are hundredth of an inch the numbers on the dial are in thousands of an inch so each line = .001 of an inch so if you reaqd like 4 then 1 then 25 it would be 4.125 or 4 1/8 of an inch. you follow me?

Im running a FM40 muffler and im cutting everything off after the muffler, leaving just the outlet and then putting a turndown after that. and im not sure if the outlet on my FM is 2.25 or 2.50 i cant remember. so lets say my outlet on my fm is 2.25, i would get a turn down pipe with a inlet of 2.5 that way it will fit over the outlet of my muffler right? then clamp it down?

your talkin about the tube thas stuck in the muffler right?

did you measure the outside or the inside of the pipe?

if on the outside get a turndown with the inside of the inlet measuring 2.25

outside meaning outside diameter or od

inside meaning inside diameter or id

I tried to explain this to my ex for like 2 hours one day needless to say she never got it. lol!! she'd say od id what the he!! i don't get it.

k. im not saying your stupid or anything but heres a quick drawing of what i want and need to know. Bare with me :)
muffler.jpg

Basically in the morning im gonna measure the outlet of my muffler. If it indeeds measures 2.25" then a turndown that is 2.25" wont work will it if im going to clamp it? i will need to get a turndown that measures 2.5"?

no no that's not it dude it's cool!! I hope I didn't give you the impression that I think your stupid or anything. sorry if i did.

anyway as long as the od of the pipe on the muffler is 2.25 then the ID of the turndown needs to be 2.25 if it was 2.5 then the pipe would have .250 slop around it. I know what your saying ive done the very same thing. just trying to save you a trip to the parts store.

ok last question. So if the OD is 2.25" on the muffler and i get a turn down has a ID of 2.25" how am i going to clamp it? Doesnt the turn down need to be larger so it can fit over the outlet of the muffler?

it will fit the id of the turndown is 2.25 and the od of muff is 2.25

it would be a perfect fit no slop. then you just clamp it and forget it hope your going to put a hanger on there someplace otherwise you probably loose you muffler or cat at somepoint down the road. hope I helped you if worse comes to worse just ask at the parts store, tell him what you got.

Back