• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do 97+ floor mats fit 84-96 XJ's?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, Trying to pick up some rubberized gray mats, and no one makes them in gray any more for the 84-96 :bawl: Do the 97+ front mats like weather tech fit ok?

They will fit the '95-'96s fine for certain.

Whether they fit '84-'94 will depend on how far back toward the seats they go and if they interfere with the hump the later seats bolt to.

It is a funny thing that even the carpet and floor mat suppliers can't seem to distinguish between a floor pan and tail lights. It seems everyone thinks that all the changes in the XJ platform happened in '97 when the exterior of the body got a re-make. They need to take note of the airbags. The introduction of airbags in '95 drove a change in seat mounting configuration and that is what affects the floor configuration.

How late model floor mats fit in an early XJ is going to depend on that hump for the front two bolts for the front seats. Early XJs won't have that hump. I have no idea if the seat brackets for the early XJs go farther forward than do the late model XJs. That could also pose a problem.

If you were willing to alter the rear of the floor mat I expect you could make it work. I do not believe there is any difference in the shape of the transmission tunnel or firewall.

The Husky Liner mats (PN 30101) for 97+ work just fine in my 94, just a bit of a gap between the back of the mat and the seat brackets (4" on driver's side, 1/4" on the passenger's side). Being that the Huskys are molded to the floor, it's not an issue, but I can see other styles tending to slide back...

Back