• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double sided tape removal

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of the stupid rubber panels were missing off the side of my jeep when I got it and the rest are coming loose. What tips do you guys have for removing the adhesive residue? I've done it on other jeeps before but this one is particularly hard, I think it was repainted sometime in the distant past so its not the softer stuff that you see on the OEM ones. I know wd-40 is supposed to do it but i want to stay away from that because I want to paint it at some point and im afraid the wd-40 will cause problems with that down the line. Also looks like the po drove through some fresh asphalt and kicked some up on the rockers too :(

There's a product called "GOOP" that might work.
Lacquer thinner should also soften it up.

Goo Gone works on certain types of adhesives, usually the types of adhesive other stuff won't. If I can't get it off with solvent or oil Goo Gone usually does the trick. Walmart is likely to have it.

I just use a heat gun, it makes quick work of it.

Forgot about heat gun, wish I had one. Place I used to work for had one, it was great for that! Want to paint it neon green :) its a forest green right now which is horrible for a mail delivery jeep driving next to corn fields all day!

Goo Gone works well on tar, sap and a lot of things, worth a try. Even if it doesn't work on the glue it has a lot of uses.
Be carefull with a heat gun, overheat and the paint blisters. Heat guns aren't very expensive many are under $20.

I just removed, refinished and reinstalled the mouldings on my Father's Jeep. They look brand new. To remove them you want to heat them up. Heat gun, or pointing them towards the sun on a hot day will work. To clean the residue I used a plastic razor blade, goo gone, and soapy water. Be careful not to scratch the paint. Painters tape will help prevent scratches.

Back