• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat Towing with Stock Bumper?

xjismydd

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 and I tried reinforcing the bumper to tow using this Harbor Freight tow bar: https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb-capacity-adjustable-tow-bar-61625.html

The bumper came apart, at the torx screw that faces forward. I'm thinking of going to the JY for a later bumper that screws in only from the top and bottom (not bottom and front) and of course bolts on with three screws on each side to the frame.

When I'm done it would like the photo attached. Question is: do you think it is safe to tow this way?

What if the Jeep is weighed down a bit with tools?

Thank you

This is what it will look like when done. Does it look safe?

https://i.imgur.com/i3VZsj0.jpg

Not safe. Same bumper, same results.

You have some options, buy or weld tow points that tie into the frame rails with more than 3 bolts per side, buy or weld an off-road style bumper that ties into the frame rails with more than 3 bolts per side, or buy an RV type tag-along flat tow set-up.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
You need to do a lot more than that!

Even the later bumpers are thinner than you think. The previous suggestion about making an adapter to tie into the frame rails with the bumper off is probably your best bet.

prior own had a tire swing out carrier bumper put on my XJ, used the stock body mounts. They tore right off. simply by the weight of the tire carrier bumper.

I know this is the rear bumper I speak of, and you are dealing with front, but they are simular in design, light duty made for bumping, not pulling or being pulled by.

Now sure for a short low speed run, if your towing driver can take it real easy, sure you could get away with it a bit, but for normal highway towing, get a correct legal set up, with safety chains to the frame as a fail safe.

dont forget brake, tail and turn light operation on towed jeep.

good luck

Back