• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendations on a good 4.5' Xj lift kit HELP PLEASE

435Mj

NAXJA Forum User
i own a 93 5 spd xj with about 174,000 miles on it.

GOAL:
i want to be able to run BFG 31x10.5 R15 so 4.5'" is certinly enough lift, so it can still being a good DD and good offfroad and look clean and mean.

QUESTION 1
i have been looking at a rustys 4.5 full spring pack which runs $669.00 and includes

• 2 - 4.5" Front Coil Springs
• 2 - 4.5" Rear Spring Packs
• Front Adjustable Trac Bar
• Lower Control Arms
• Transfer Case Drop Kit
• Brake Line Extension Kit
• Front Sway Bar Extensions
• 4 - Rusty's Hydraulic Shocks
are rustys lifts good on and offroad and are they quality parts or will it fall apart after a year.

QUESTION 2
what, if any, is a better lift kit for the price ?(shocks included if possable) not over $1,000

QUESTION 3
will i need anything besides what comes with the kit to start off with (replacement OEM parts possibly)

QUESTION 4
will i need a slip yoke eliminator?

QUESTION 5
what problems might i run into durning the teardown that need fixing besides rust?

Last edited:
I got the 4.5 RE with the add-a-leaf and block for the rear and I couldn't be happier. If you are just lookin for 31's i would go for the 3.5 RE with the full packs. I also got a good deal with OME shocks from jeepinoutfitters.com

4.5 kit
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=113

just a little over a thousand... if you want a 4.5 get full leaf packs, AAL will sag and blocks can cause spring wrap... he is right though, if you go with RE you can get a 3.5 kit and it will be more than enough to run 31s...

3.5 kit
http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=219

about the other questions... you shouldn't need an SYE... with that said, you might want to get a 3.5 kit and spend the extra on one...

you will probably run into the same problem everyone else runs into when doing this... the bolts that attach the leaves to the unibody in the front. You can't get to the nut as it's welded inside the unibody so for a few weeks before you are going to put the lift on coat that whole area with PB blaster and be VERY careful when loosening them. If you break the welds on those nuts you'll have to cut into your unibody.

If you aren't absolutely set on RE, I would contact the folks at www.creaseyoffroad.com and check out their rock krawler kits... I think one of their employees are a member here and if you look in the vendors for sale section you can contact them. they have a 4.5 system for 850.

Last edited:
I personally like my rustys 4.5" kit alot. I've been running it for about 5 months now and haven't had any major problems with it netting about 4.5" lift in front and 5.5" in the rear initially, then 4.5" front and 5.0" rear after settling. I personally like this because I plan on adding a rear bumper and tire carrier and that should help level it out. I did end up upgrading the trackbar end to the HD trackbar end rusty's sells because I didn't like the stock end.

The rubicon kit might be worth the extra money to you because it comes with some of the parts you might want to add later like swaybar disconnects. You also might want to consider the rock krawler kit that was mentioned because the lower control arms are adjustable as opposed to fixed (something I'm going to upgrade to soon anyway).

As for SYE, I needed one right away in my '01 cherokee, while a buddy in an '88 never had any problems so you might want to see how it drives after the install.

I'm running the 4.5 RE, and made the mistake of the add a leaf,,, it would have been much better with full packs, so I'm looking into that.... I don't know about others, but with RE you can upgrade some of the parts in the kit to get a more custom kit without wasted parts... I upgraded to adjustable lower arms, and the HD track bar and bracket... With shocks, shipping and upgrades it was right at $900,,, but it performs great and rides smooth...

Rustys 4.5 is what I have. I would get the JKS discos insted of the sway bar drops. Get the uper control arms also. Do not get Add a leaf un less you plan on replaceing your leaf pack in the near future anyway.

I used the t-case drop kit and have had no vibrations. Its amazing what 1" will do. lots o vibs befor the drop. I plan on putting extended shackles in the rear and adjustable coil spacers in the front as soon as i can spend 500+ on Tom Woods SYE for a 242. Adding inches is why I got the full leaf pack.

P3260006.jpg

If your going to run JUST 31's, go with a RE 3.5 kit. With the RE 4.5, do a little trimming and youll be golden for 33's.

This mine with the above RE Superflex 4.5 kit from JeepinOutfitters and 33X12.50 tires and a little bit of trimming...
Jeep5.jpg

Jeffro600 said:
If your going to run JUST 31's, go with a RE 3.5 kit. With the RE 4.5, do a little trimming and youll be golden for 33's.

This mine with the above RE Superflex 4.5 kit from JeepinOutfitters and 33X12.50 tires and a little bit of trimming...
Jeep5.jpg

lookin good

Just keep in mind what your purpose is and generally you get what you pay for.... Some cheaper kits only give you what you need to get it up in the air, not what you will need to really "use" the suspension. Others come with everything needed to really use them.. I don't have any hands on experience with anything be the RE, but I know if my research it was a much more complete kit, and is meant to be used... As you can see, the front really twists up nicely,,,, and with a full pack instead of AAL, it would do close to that in the rear...
p1213718m.jpg

p2043783m.jpg

p2043784m.jpg

I put a rusty's 4.5 on my Jeep, with 31 10.5/r15 and I wish I would've went with Rubicon Express. They cost more, but the lift includes everything you'll need....seriously!! I had to purchase brakelines from Rub. express, and all in all Rusty's gives you the bare minimum. If you don't plan on upgrading to larger tires, go with a 3" or 3.5" you'll fry less drag link parts, and it'll cost you less. And buy a dropped pitman arm, the 1.5" drop should work. Listen to everybody else, go with a 3.5" and you'll be PERFECT for 31's" If your getting the 4.5" go with someone else, not Rusty's. I did the same thing as you, tight budget, saw the rusty's lift as the cheapest, installed it, then ended up spending the same for a Rub. kit with less to show for it!

Now I'm stationed in Italy, and screwed for parts, not to many Jeep/ offroad companies in this country.

I have the Re 4.5 w/spring packs and I love it. It flexes beautifully and I promise if you go with the 3.5 you'll wish you went bigger, because I do. I've had mine for 2.5 years now and the only problem i've had is I bent the track bar, but with a little persuasion from a torch that problem was fixed. Good luck with your decision.

ok so im so im going to spend the extra money and get the RE 6111 vs the rustys 4.5 it will be better in the long run. i know im going to need shocks 31x10.5R15's and maybe some shims.....anything else to get me started ? iv go 1500 to work with to get me up and running and so far my total is $1721.25 with shipping,aligenment and balancing i can find a way to get the other 250.00 but am i looking good on my lil project so far?

Last edited:
I run the RE 4.5 too, with 175K on it stay away from helper spings, (you'll end up changing them out if you wheel at all).

Even though you're only doing 31's stay with the 4.5" lift, you'll want bigger tires in the future.

xj_toker said:
ok so im so im going to spend the extra money and get the RE 6111 vs the rustys 4.5 it will be better in the long run. i know im going to need shocks 31x10.5R15's and maybe some shims.....anything else to get me started ? iv go 1500 to work with to get me up and running and so far my total is $1721.25 with shipping,aligenment and balancing i can find a way to get the other 250.00 but am i looking good on my lil project so far?

Gears! & 33's

i agree with the bigger rubbers but i cant afford em right now and i need to stay somewhat practical and keep a lil gas milage. but im getting the 4.5 and 31's so that later wheni can aford bigger tires i wond need a new lift. and as for gears cant do thos yet. and i dont really think ill need em yet either...... but i know the time will eventully come. as for the AAL i already knew that i want the real deal not some wana-be 4x4

Here's an RE 3.5 superflex with 30's.
Jeep.jpg

Don't forget the cost of an SYE. ~$450-$500
Not sure if a trac bar is included from RE. ~$250
You can use YJ w/abs rubber hoses for the front line and rear line. ~$100
These were costs after installing my lift.

Last edited:
xj_toker said:
i agree with the bigger rubbers but i cant afford em right now and i need to stay somewhat practical and keep a lil gas milage. but im getting the 4.5 and 31's so that later wheni can aford bigger tires i wond need a new lift. and as for gears cant do thos yet. and i dont really think ill need em yet either...... but i know the time will eventully come. as for the AAL i already knew that i want the real deal not some wana-be 4x4

If you're moving up from 28's to 31's you'll notice lost power & your milage will suck because your foot will always be heavy on the little pedal, then you'll want to re-gear anyway.

http://www.intercotire.com/site63.php

Back