• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Brake Line Leaking at connection

mchulse

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy y'all, bought a rusty jeep and the hard brake lines started breaking when I did some basic brake work. I decided to go with a full SS hardline kit from SSTubes, as I didn't want to fool around with flaring and bending everything myself, and new Raybesto soft lines. Everything went together fairly easy (with the exception of the front right line... routing that was a PITA). All was well till I realized that, under pressure, my front left line was leaking where it connected to the brand new softline. It appears to be seated squarily and tightened down (maybe too much) but still it has a weap under pressure.

Question are:
- How does one go about diagnosing what is causing this poor connection?
- Any ancient chinese secrets to fixing this annoying issue?
- Is it possible for the softline to be bad straight from the factory?

Hoping not to have to go buy a flaring tool for this one connection (fingers crossed) Thanks!

Take it apart and inspect both of the mating surfaces for any damage. Are you sure that you have correctly matched the fittings?

Thanks RCP Phx, the fittings seem to fit and are a match. I'll pull them apart and see if there is something I missed when inspecting them before the install. Odd that out of 18 connections I made with the new hardlines this one is the only one leaking.

Just finished taking the lines apart and looks to me the softline connector (where the hardline flare goes over) is faulty as it appears to have a flat ridge on one part of the connector where the other side has a clean taper. I'm gonna grab a new softline and hope that fixes it. Man I'm sick of buying new parts that are defective... China (immaright?!?!) Silver Lining: I'm getting really good at bleeding the brakes by myself.

Back