NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 13th, 2018, 17:18
NAXJA Member

Re: beadlocks: weld-on vs $$$

Then use it -- my 1st welder was a little Lincoln weldpac 100 -- always ran .035 flux core thru it

That little welder did a ton of work -- if my material was too thick I'd weld a pass, grind out half of the weld, and make another pass -- also bevel the edges of your work pieces prior to welding if you need -- good prep makes for good,solid welds
Old April 13th, 2018, 17:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
got a link? summit has double beadlocks and a couple rings
found an article on rockcrawler.com, but the banner ad for them was dead

raceline buy allied or something?

very interested in allied, just can't find them. well, I found these: https://www.alliedwheel.com/p-1526-r...beadlocks.aspx
but we're back to $300+ for 17x9
fourxdoctor.com has 17 x 9.5 allied wheel bead locks for $217.00 , depending on the lug pattern you need , 17 x 8 is even less cost.
Old April 13th, 2018, 20:08
NAXJA Forum User

I still wouldn't use shielded wire, it burns to hot which leads to warping. It doesn't take to re-starts without some cleaning to avoid air leaks. I don't even use CO2 very often, I use mostly 75/25 CO/Arg mix mostly with the occasional Arg/Hel mix or a similar mix for TIG.
Old April 13th, 2018, 22:15
NAXJA Forum User

I hear good things about the dirty life beadlocks
Old April 14th, 2018, 11:13
NAMJA Member

i got my dirty lifes for less than $1k shipped to my door. that was a few months ago so idk if prices have gone up or not.
Old April 14th, 2018, 18:08
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89eliminator View Post
i got my dirty lifes for less than $1k shipped to my door. that was a few months ago so idk if prices have gone up or not.
the dirty life ones are cast aluminum , the reason for the lower cost. steel will bend , cast will shatter if hit hard enough.
Old April 15th, 2018, 14:27
NAXJA Forum User

In the last 15 years I've done a dozen or so weld on beadlocks. Honestly in the end it cost the same. It really boils down to how much time you are willing to but in to them. Weld on you have the cost of the wheels, beadlock kit, hardware (nuts and bolts), paint, valve stems, balancing beads, welding wire and a grinder. What is a weekend worth to you? Welding is a key skill need. A fair about of prep is needed.

Personally I'm not ever going to recommend someone do dyi beadlocks. For the average individual, it dose not pencil out.
Old April 15th, 2018, 14:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
Then use it -- my 1st welder was a little Lincoln weldpac 100 -- always ran .035 flux core thru it

That little welder did a ton of work -- if my material was too thick I'd weld a pass, grind out half of the weld, and make another pass -- also bevel the edges of your work pieces prior to welding if you need -- good prep makes for good,solid welds
in 2004 I ran the same welder. I built a every thing on my chebby with it. I definitely got my money out of it.
Old April 15th, 2018, 15:00
NAXJA Member

I probably have $130/per wheel (15") into my diy beadlocks, but also an entire weekend if not more of my time invested into them. I ran the cheap steelies for a while without beadlocks so I was able to split up the total cost and not do it all at once.
Old April 16th, 2018, 07:28
NAMJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb531 View Post
the dirty life ones are cast aluminum , the reason for the lower cost. steel will bend , cast will shatter if hit hard enough.
i have no worries

also being china made lowers cost
Old April 16th, 2018, 08:43
NAXJA Member

Quote:
fourxdoctor.com has 17 x 9.5 allied wheel bead locks for $217.00 , depending on the lug pattern you need , 17 x 8 is even less cost.
6x5.5 is BP I'll need. those look like a good option. If I can find wheels for 200'ish, I'm in. I understand the time commitment involved. just trying to keep from shelling out $1500 for a set of jeep wheels that will surely get trashed in the long run.

haven't been street legal for several years. my 37s are radials so I can get to and from local trails. any concerns with them not being DOT approved? getting back to street legal is where I'd like to end up

Last edited by denverd1; April 16th, 2018 at 08:46.
Old April 16th, 2018, 09:03
NAXJA Forum User

I'm running waggy axles also. They are narrower than stock XJ axles. With 3.5 backspace wheels I'm running 3in spacers in the back and 2inch in the front. Just an FYI
Old April 16th, 2018, 09:49
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9mile View Post
I'm running waggy axles also. They are narrower than stock XJ axles. With 3.5 backspace wheels I'm running 3in spacers in the back and 2inch in the front. Just an FYI
thank you for that. I figured I'd need some sort of spacer, but didn't realize I'd need an extra 6" in the back.
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:04
Member# 2368

Coming from DIY beadlocks, I'd never build another set. I've had several sets. I've always fought them. They stupid heavy. They leak like no tomorrow. They're a pain to bolt the ring on.

There's several aluminum wheels on the market for awesome prices.

Dirty Life wheels from Dan McPherson (DMR Offroad) being the cheapest at like $235 each.

I paid $279 each for my Raceline Monsters with aluminum rings. Like $1100 to my door.

Quote:
:/ I guess that's why most folks with big boy rigs run aluminum wheels. If you hit a wheel hard enough to shatter it, you have bigger problems."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89eliminator View Post
i have no worries
I worry constantly but not about shattering my wheels. lol
Old April 16th, 2018, 12:04
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post

.035 is what I'm using as well. getting it figured out, but good prep and beveled edges make a big difference! just got done rebuilding front bumper mounts and they came out pretty good.

What cleaner is best? alcohol?