• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Help

Motod6

NAXJA Forum User
95 with a NP242

Front output has slop and leaks. Bearing and seal at a min. T & J quote $650 to install a rebuild kit. Anaheim Gear said they didn't know how to quote it could be upwards of $1050 (They were no help really). This is with the T case out of the vehicle.

I'd rather have a shop do it but $500 in labor? Is that the going rate?

Anyway, I've added a HD SYE myself so I'm fairly confident i can do it. Problem i'm running into is I cannot get the front yoke nut loose to save my life. It's still in the vehicle. Any tricks or ideas?

And as for the prices...seems ridiculous, transfer cases aren't that complicated on our jeeps.

If the case ends up being bad, let me know, I have some spare 242 parts

Not sure this will help but a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF stuck in a squirt bottle works wonders. It’s just messier than commercial stuff like PB Blaster. I used to take some on junkyard raids, it really gets down in the threads.

Yeah had no luck with the pipe wrench and impact. I've been hitting it daily PB blaster so I will try again.

Get a torch on the nut if you have that available? Rebuilding it anyway, so doesn't matter if you melt the seal.

"Super Slick Slick Stuff" and let it set for a day or two. PB used to be my go to.

$650 seams REALLY reasonable.

Even with a tranny jack, taking it down, and throwing it back up is a PITA!
How do I know?

LOL I just did it today.
I don't know what shop tools you might have, but you will need an arbor press for new bearings, and bushings.

The only thing I would add is that make sure said shop uses a good AMERICAN chain.
My last TC threw a chain, and it had an OMIX ADA in it, and that case is no more.
Find a Morse HIVO chain. They are out there.

$650 seams REALLY reasonable.

Even with a tranny jack, taking it down, and throwing it back up is a PITA!
How do I know?

LOL I just did it today.
I don't know what shop tools you might have, but you will need an arbor press for new bearings, and bushings.

The only thing I would add is that make sure said shop uses a good AMERICAN chain.
My last TC threw a chain, and it had an OMIX ADA in it, and that case is no more.
Find a Morse HIVO chain. They are out there.

$650 was t case out of the vehicle w/ seals and bearing only. After some calling around though it does seem to be the going rate. The press wouldn't be an issue though. I have one

Last edited:
I thought about that but I'd still need to split cases to swap over my sye

That is quick work....specially on a bench.

Seriously, way easier. And swapping your sye wouldn't be bad at all

This is true. Would it matter what year I find since I'm swapping the output shaft anyway? Also is the front bearing and seal common to fail.

I guess my hang up on this usfor the price of a transfer case I can get a chain and rebuild kit to make mine fresh. I do the labor of course

The year still matters because the input splines changed. Even rebuilding a case isn't much work, so either way I think you'll be better than $600.

Back