• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BUILD: My 1987 "Wagoneer" XJ Limited

NOS (New Old Stock) & New OEM After-market:

Replaced the shifter-display - Top-new - Bottom-old:
Picture030_zps3a23144f.jpg

Doing some shopping while she's in the paint-booth…

[FONT=&quot]NOS power-antenna:

KGrHqNjUFCYIBJjBQyU27Yg1g60_57_zps7fb1e8b8.jpg

[/FONT]

NOS: Tail-lamp #1

[FONT=&quot]Found the right-rear tail-lamp... Now I just need the left! Anyone??? Anyone???[/FONT]

KGrHqZi4FCq1w7NLJBQ33CehSbg60_3_zpsb00d281e.jpg

I have one just like it, but mine shows nearly 300,000 miles of age. If you find any NOS parts in surplus real cheap I would like to know.

Nice looking Jeep

I look forward to the build

is that the correct rear tail lamp? looks much different than the ones on the jeep. i have the all red tail lights on my 89 wagoneer and they look just like the ones in the pic of the stock jeep. flat and squared off corner. your new one looks curved and tapered a little at the bottom like the newer XJs.

Re: NOS: Tail-lamp #1

[FONT=&quot]Found the right-rear tail-lamp... Now I just need the left! Anyone??? Anyone???[/FONT]

KGrHqZi4FCq1w7NLJBQ33CehSbg60_3_zpsb00d281e.jpg

That's a Comanche tail light, not a wagoneer tail light. The wagoneer tail lights are still squared off on the outside corner like the XJ, they are just all red (instead of red/amber like the normal XJ) and have the chrome/silver trim (like the one in your pic).

Still a rare item (compared to XJ tails at least)... and more rare with the silver trim like that. A lot of the MJ guys are looking for tail light lenses like that, so post it in the classifieds here or on Comanche Club forums and I'm sure you can get a couple bucks for it.

Agree. The parts list/manual describes this one as "chrome". I found a guy who has the other side. If I never find the originalstyle for an XJ... This may be a substitute in the interim.

That's a Comanche tail light, not a wagoneer tail light. The wagoneer tail lights are still squared off on the outside corner like the XJ, they are just all red (instead of red/amber like the normal XJ) and have the chrome/silver trim (like the one in your pic).

Still a rare item (compared to XJ tails at least)... and more rare with the silver trim like that. A lot of the MJ guys are looking for tail light lenses like that, so post it in the classifieds here or on Comanche Club forums and I'm sure you can get a couple bucks for it.

Agree. The parts list/manual describes this one as "chrome". I found a guy who has the other side. If I never find the originalstyle for an XJ... This may be a substitute in the interim.

The comanche tail light doesn't fit on the XJ body, none of the screw holes line up. Just sell it and find an XJ tail light, even if it's a red/amber one for temporary. Comanche tail light housings are hard to come by in good shape, so don't modify it or break it trying to make it work when you can get some dough for it and find the right one.

Good to know... I'll hold off on the second of the same.

The comanche tail light doesn't fit on the XJ body, none of the screw holes line up. Just sell it and find an XJ tail light, even if it's a red/amber one for temporary. Comanche tail light housings are hard to come by in good shape, so don't modify it or break it trying to make it work when you can get some dough for it and find the right one.

Tail-lamps

[FONT=&quot]Now seems like a good opportunity to get educated... Below is the parts list for my XJ... I interpret all the tail-lamp choices will fit. The NOS I have is item #14. Thoughts?[/FONT]

CCI12312012_zps68a20b36.jpg

Number 14 says "MJ" under body, at the bottom of that page it says "MJ = Comanche Pickup". You have a comanche tail light housing. It doesn't fit your XJ body... try it, it appears you have the rig all apart already anyway, but you'll find that you can't match the screw holes up, and the body countour is different where they bolt up anyway. Sell it here or on Comanche Club, it's a NOS passenger side comanche tail light housing with chrome trim, they are hard to find and someone will pay you more money for it than it will cost you to find another NOS wagoneer tail light housing most likely.

You need a number 1 on that diagram, 8350 4116 "Wagoneer, Red"

Last edited:
What I'm curious about is what the difference is between the standard XJ tail lamps and the ones that say "ECE" behind them... from a quick google search it appears ECE stands for Economic Commission of Europe, so I assume they are european models... maybe with different reflector or color configuration....

There is a European version which may also be an option... I do wish it had chrome-trim:

4720499_zpsf6c1b67f.jpg

The XJ is still at the paint-shop... And I'm still shopping!

An unbelievable find of a NOS "Overlay"! It's the chrome piece above the rear license-plate. He also had the other Cherokee chrome tail-lamp... Although I can't use them... At least I'll have a NOS pair!

DSCN4534xxx4_zps54007b34.jpg

An unbelievable find of a NOS "Overlay"! It's the chrome piece above the rear license-plate. He also had the other Cherokee chrome tail-lamp... Although I can't use them... At least I'll have a NOS pair!

Again, that is a Comanche tail lamp lense, NOT a Cherokee or Wagoneer.

Again, that is a Comanche tail lamp lense, NOT a Cherokee or Wagoneer.

Maybe you missed my "although I can't use them"... Then since I have an XJ... I still get the "other" models confused! :laugh3:

An unbelievable find of a NOS "Overlay"! It's the chrome piece above the rear license-plate. He also had the other Comanche chrome tail-lamp... Although I can't use them... At least I'll have a NOS pair!

DSCN4534xxx4_zps54007b34.jpg

From what I've read, the Euro models have a fourth circuit and bulb socket for the tail lights for 'fog lights'. Even the stock XJ US market tail light housings have the fourth hole, but no bulb socket. I believe it lights up if you turn on your front fogs. They are as bright as the stop lights. One car that comes to mind is the earlier Lexus IS series. There's two extra tail lights on the trunk lid, that when illuminated, are brighter than the running lights, about as bright as stop lights. I guess they're legal here, as a few other Asian cars seem to be sporting them, too. Lately it's been warm, and foggy, and it'd be nice if more vehicles had them.

I have seen similar while in Europe. Below-left is my old OEM... Below-right is a new Import. I won't know about the wiring until I get my XJ back. So for now... FYI:

XJTaillamp_zps108a0097.jpg

From what I've read, the Euro models have a fourth circuit and bulb socket for the tail lights for 'fog lights'. Even the stock XJ US market tail light housings have the fourth hole, but no bulb socket. I believe it lights up if you turn on your front fogs. They are as bright as the stop lights. One car that comes to mind is the earlier Lexus IS series. There's two extra tail lights on the trunk lid, that when illuminated, are brighter than the running lights, about as bright as stop lights. I guess they're legal here, as a few other Asian cars seem to be sporting them, too. Lately it's been warm, and foggy, and it'd be nice if more vehicles had them.

Back