• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new Heep. if its current, I need help!

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so this is a cheap '89 I picked up with the intention of parting out, but my buddies dad "took back" "HIS" '99 cherokee after my buddy wrapped barbed wire around the rear differential. - the whole thing was a mongolian cluster - well, in short he didnt trust us to do the repair work so he spent 1500 on a new diff and my trail buddy got moved back to Yuma. -SO- I plan on selling this one to him for what i end up having into it, so that he has something to romp.

what I Know

Theres fuses missin,
It turns over with a jump start, but wont run.
it has been sitting for about 2 years,
it was supposedly jump started about 3 months prior to me buying it, but the guy couldent keep it running.
it has been converted to an open cooling system,
and it is in dire need of an oil change, but someone stole my ramps and Jack.
oh and there was an o2 censor on the floorboard.

I'll also be posting pictures when i get my camera back.

Lot's o stuff you need to find out. Is this a 4.0? FI or carbed?

1. What fuses are missing (replace them and find out why they're gone)
2. If it turns over with a jump but won't without a jump you need a new battery, clean all the connectors, put some vaseline on them and tighten them down.
3. If it turns over but doesn't run go here http://208.101.10.250/~naxjaor1/forum/showthread.php?t=101119
and troubleshoot it.
4. If there's an 02 sensor on the floor, there may not be one where it's supposed to be. Check that out, get a new one.

NOTE: It's been sitting too long. Flush and fill the cooling system, change the fuel, change the oil & filter (get new ramps & jack).

ok, we tried getting it going again today,
fluids still havent been changed but we looked at it and it wasnt too bad after we looked over it again,

I replaced all the fuses, but the round silver and the aluminum fuses are gone.
theres also a multi point connection without anything plugged into it on the left side of the fuse panel.

after charging the battery up with cables it turned over but wouldent start,

the plugs might be original... they're really shotty.

gets spark, but doesnt seem to be getting fuel but i cant really tell, the plugs were black.

anyway, so it turns over and gets spark but wont start.

ideas?

fuel pump makes noise.

when you check the plugs if they are "wet" does that mean that they are dripping or just damp? would it be easier to rub one on a shop towl than to eyeball it?

testing to see if there is pressure at the rail today, just have to look up where the schrader valve is and see if it gives me a good squirt i guess. dont have a pressure tester.

and I'll probably take the air filter out too. jsut to make sure its not an air problem.

anyone else have suggestions on what to check before i go out there today?

its one cold mofo and I'd like to get as much done in a short amount of time as possible considering i dont have access to a garge.

-Trent

Trent, first off get a new battery (or put the old one on a charger over-night, slow charge). thats what i did. now i have 2 damn batteries.
second, change out the plugs, wires, oil/filters.
if the battery wont take a charge in the vehicle...... get you a new CPS (crank position censor) (it's been covered in here in another thread).
believe me, you probably need one.(i sure did).
as for the oil change, its a jeep (4x4)!!! :doh: WTF you need ramps or a jack for??? i have never used either of those to change the oil in mine, (or my old 85 ramcharger).
dude it aint a sports car, you ARE high enough off the ground to get under it with out those things.:rolleyes:

sounds good.
i dont have a charger, but might know where to get one. I havea spare set of wires i was saving for my daily ride but i guess it wouldent hurt to test everything out with them.

gotta go buy me some 99 cent spark plugs too lol.

my main goal is to get this xj running with as little effort and money as possible, after i know it has no major problems, I'll give it a full tune-up and put new skins on it, clean it up and then send it to Yuma for a friend of mine.

as far as not needing ramps or a jack....

i wear a size 54 jacket with a 42 waist. and theres 2 inches of ice in my parking spot in my complex.

so... lets see what else i can accomplish today =)

-Trent

ok heres todays results.

took the battery from my daily and used it to test my project. left the old one out in the snow after the volt meter confirmed that its fried.

there is pressure at the fuel rail.

it gets spark.

it starts for a second with starting fluid in the air intake

(sounds beastly, i dont think the muffler is attatched or something.)

I replaced the ECU with one from a junker, no change.

The electrical is screwy. the interrior lights are always on, the dash lights and left turn signal are always on.

the left turn signal light is always on but is reverse wired to the dimmer switch, so as the gauges brighten the signal light dimms.

Have you cleaned all the ground wires?Also remove it from the firewall an clean that end too..My interrior light stayed on all the time too, i opened the rear hatch an used WD on the switch... Clean all your ground

ok heres todays results.

took the battery from my daily and used it to test my project. left the old one out in the snow after the volt meter confirmed that its fried.

there is pressure at the fuel rail.

it gets spark.

it starts for a second with starting fluid in the air intake

(sounds beastly, i dont think the muffler is attatched or something.)

I replaced the ECU with one from a junker, no change.

The electrical is screwy. the interrior lights are always on, the dash lights and left turn signal are always on.

the left turn signal light is always on but is reverse wired to the dimmer switch, so as the gauges brighten the signal light dimms.

bad ballast resisior if its starts and dies after 3-5 seconds.

ballast is on drivers side fender wall. its a white ceramic piece with 2 orange wires going to it. pull the 2 wires off and hold them together.

I'll be heading out for antoher round of tests today in about an hour, anyone have any ideas that are not posted already?

What do you mean barbed wire got wrapped around the differential? You mean like inside the housing or what??? I'm confused as to what damage getting the axle housing wrapped in barbed wire could do.

ahh my buddies '99 got a long strand of barbed wire poked up into his u-joint and ended up spinning it all around his differential and drive shaft to the point that the wire tore the seals out of the shaft input of his diff. I'll post some pics here in a sec if you want 'em

some clickable thumbnails. my buddy Ginger's '99 cherokee after the wire got it.

ok,

just got back from the great out doors. and by that i mean my apartments parking lot.

The Jeep Runs.

but only on starting fluid...

theres pressure at the rail.

theres 5 gallons of 91 octane and two bottles of booster in it.

and there are 6 new plugs and a new set of wires.

it starts and goes up to around 3400 rpms almost instantly, stays for a couple seconds then dies.

let me know if anyone has any ideas.

will be going back out in the morning to work on it some more.

Back