• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new steering box getting one not overboosted

wilcharl

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to replace my steering box

now here is problem... everyone says that they changed the design to fix the overboost of the early renix era xjs (THANK GOD) but here is the problem-o
Cardone and all the remainers use the same part from 84-95 so no way to tell if you get an overboosted unit or not... now... i have verified that the 96 ZJ box has the same two hose connections but the input shaft looks a little differnt.. same thing with the 96 xj box... here are the specs

1984-1995 XJ box

# of Mounting Holes: 3
# of Turns Lock to Lock: 3 1/16 - 3 3/8
Input Shaft Diameter: 3/4''
Line Thread Size: M18x1.5, M16x1.5
Output Shaft Diameter: 1.25''
Type of Hose Ports: Tube O-Ring

1996 XJ Box

# of Turns Lock to Lock: 3 3/8

ZJ Box

Attributes: P/S Gear Box
# of Turns Lock to Lock: 3 1/16
Type of Hose Ports: Tube O-Ring

So what to do? do i get the ZJ box or what guys??

Thanx

I always thought the touchy steering was the pump pressure, not the box. May want to e-mail www.larescorp.com. They have been a pretty good source of info for me over the years. They have fixed me up, with some neat stuff.

i might email them... they seem like a good op... how good are their remans?

The touchy aspect is not due to pump pressure -- it's due to the spool valve AMC used. Otherwise, the early XJ boxes, late XJ boxes, ZJ boxes, and about a zillion GM boxes are exactly the same. It's the spool valve that determines how much boost you feel and how much road feel the box lets you receive.

My guess (and it's just that, a guess) would be that if Cardone is lumping all of the boxes together, is that they *probably* replace the spool valve with the later one. Where are you getting the part # from? If it's a PFY in a parts store using a computer, make 'em check the book.

It is my understanding the initial feel in moving the steering wheel is caused by the torsion bar on the input side of the spool valve. From what I have read the input torsion bar thickness affects the feel of the steering since it bends slightly before the spool valve turns to allow power from the pump. The thicker the bar the stiffer the initial feel when turning the wheel. I would order a steering box from a supplier that specifies different parts numbers to be safe. Quadratech.com has new boxes w. different parts numbers for early and late xjs. Stay away from rebuilt boxes imho since I have gotten two crap ones from autozone under same part number - one from atasco rebuilder (no return on center but very light feel like early xjs) and the other from fenco rebuilder (bad spool valve but heavy feel like later xjs). Greg

Last edited:
I think I'd go to a junkyard and buy a box out of a low-mileage, relatively late model XJ. I certainly wouldn't pay the inflated prices AGR gets for what are, in fact, rebuilt boxes that many MANY people have reported arrive completely out of spec.

Anything you get from a cheap parts house, including NAPA, was probably pulled off some old wreck in the junk yard and spraypainted. If you truly want a good box and don't mind paying more, contact pscpowersteer.com. Expensive, but awesome. Otherwise, go to a junkyard and get your own from a later Grand Cherokee (not 99 and newer). 97 or 98. Inspect it for leaks, etc, and try to see that it is 3.0 turns. These were better boxes, and will fit any XJ ever made. I have one in my '96, and it is much better.

For cost reasons I think I am going to have to go wtih a reman. I really can not do the used route.. I dont know why just a thing about used hard parts I have.. but I think i am best off going wtih the late ZJ box it has a specific part #

Back