• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake rotor style

KaHOnas

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to verify real quick that the rotor on my 2000 is a hat-style, not the hub/rotor combo.:dunno: Right? Please, dear god, tell me it's the hat-style...

4wd, btw...

Okay, I should have done a little more research. I found my answer on Autozone.com...however...new question.

Now I found this.
Even though the accompanying photos show the replacement of the front brake pads, this procedure also applies to the replacement of rear disc brake pads.

This was in the online manual for brake pad swap. Rear disc brake pads? I didn't know XJ's came with disc rears. I thought they were all drums. Shows what I know.

Okay, now I just realized that the manual is for a '98. Did anything change between '98 and 2000 brake-wise?

I feel like I"m talking to myself around here...:laugh3:

KaHOnas said:
Okay, now I just realized that the manual is for a '98. Did anything change between '98 and 2000 brake-wise?

I feel like I"m talking to myself around here...:laugh3:
Yes. Mid-year 1999 they stopped using composite rotors and went back to all cast rotors. They are all hat-style though -- the hub/bearing unit is not part of the rotor.

Eagle said:
Yes. Mid-year 1999 they stopped using composite rotors and went back to all cast rotors. They are all hat-style though -- the hub/bearing unit is not part of the rotor.

Hat style. Sweet. I have to replace my passenger side rotor and I wanted to make sure this wasn't going to be an all day grease-fest. Now it's just a half-day dust-fest...with maybe a little grease tossed in for good measure.

If you have any mechanical skills, replacing one rotor on an XJ will take 20 minutes, or however long it takes to take off a wheel and a 2 bolt caliper.

Jackhill442 said:
If you have any mechanical skills...

One would hope, me being a helicopter mechanic and all :laugh3: . But then, I have been known to turn the simplest of jobs into major projects.

Back