• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Rotor Question

keel5

Member #1064
I need to get new front hub/bearing Assemblies and they ask if I have composite or full cast rotors.

How do I tell wich rotors I have?

Just inside the pad riding surface on the disk there will be a lip if it is composite, it will be solid if it is full cast.

That being said, even if you have composite, go ahead and get new rotors as well and get the full cast just make sure you get the correct ones. take your current rotors to the laps and make sure the "hat" portion of the rotors are the same height.

I had a terrible rotor warping problem and switched to full cast from composite and the difference was night and day.

BTW, check out tapco international website for unit bearings.

HTH

Is this the lip you are talking about? It is not all the way around the rotor. Just on the on side.

rotor.jpg

I don't think that is the lip, but then that isn't how I tell.

If the hat area is thin and looks like it was stamped then it is composite. The sharp edge of the hat that I can see looks like they are cast, but need a better picture.

hinkley

I don't think that is the lip.

What Mark said, if you look at the "hat" portion and it looks pretty substantial then it is the cast version. The pressed/composite ones look laughably thin.

r@m

This is the only other picture I took. If I need more I will have to pull the rotor again.

Rotor2.jpg

Also, I just noticed the rub mark around the inside of the "hat". Wonder what is causing that.

Back