• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel XJ Battery Tray Part Number?

rbarton

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to setup an onboard air system. I need to relocate my battery to the driver's side of the engine compartment and had been directed to a good write-up at http://www.madxj.com where a battery tray from an export diesel XJ was used. The part number listed on this site (5517 4970) appears not to be available in the US, according to the dealer. I recall reading about this issue on another XJers site where he had the same problem and said the NAXJA list subscribers came up with a part number that could be purchased in the US, but he failed to post it.

If anyone has this information, I would very much appreciate it you'd share it with me. This little bit of information would make this project go a lot easier.

Thanks!

Ric
'96 XJ Sport

BTT. I would like the info too...

Here's the number I came up with:

95-96 XJ, euro-spec, Diesel battery tray: PN 5501-0770 $37.35

Got the number from the local dealer, but he doesn't stock the part. He gave me a number for another dealer that had it on the shelf-

800-995-4203 . This is Dannyville Chrysler/Jeep/GMC.

<now for the part that'll make you hate me. They had one on the shelf, and it's being sent COD to me. 8) >:D

Ever the helpful Jeeper, I called some other dealers in the area.

They are able to get it, it takes about 5 days to get it in, and comes out to $50.40. I'll save $.05, and have it by Friday, by doing COD. W00t!! 8)

23034232 is the one that I used. Can't remember the price off the top of my head. It's just like the one in the MadXJ article (needs a little trimming to clear the coolant hose).

Static's pn is correct, that's the one I got for my '98. I DID NOT have to notch out for the ps hose for the 4.0, that's a given.

It lists for 50.25, my awesome parts guys charged me 42.71.

One more thing, the warehouse would not ship it because it was not a US market part, my parts guy "forced" the order, so don't accept it if they say you can't buy one in the US.

See my website for some of the install photos, sorry I did not respond to this post sooner, I could not find the receipt with the pn.

Contact me with any questions about the install, it varies somewhat from the great job Max did.

Also, the j-bolts pn is 18050001, buy two, they worked the best, then get ready to fabricate.

www.stayvertical.com

I only had to trim to clear the lower radiator hose, sorry didn't make that clear in the first post. With the open cooling system the forward j-bolt would need to come up right where the radiator filler neck is at. I have an ugly solution, that works and holds it secure. Would need to dig around if anyone wants pics.

I got the "export part" explanation when I tried the pn from the MadXJ article. Got the other pn from some helpful NAXJA folks. Took two weeks for it to make the trek from Minnesota to Colorado.

Got mine in today-- both of my COD packages came in at the same time. W00t!

Can I ask a dumb question? Why not build an on board air system like mine? I hung a compressor off the bottom of my stock alternator bracket on my 91'. Kept the stock a/c, battery location, and air cleaner. Runs off a v-belt bolted to the stock crank pulley. Let me know if you would like more info.

XJ Chris

XJCHRIS said:
Let me know if you would like more info.

XJ Chris

"I would like more info".... like PICS!!

Bought the hose for my OBA yesterday, hoping to at least get a head-start on things. More info is always better!

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Now for the REALLY embarrassing part, my 1996 XJs stock tray fits on the opposite side with the addition of a couple of holes and relocating the computer back a bit. :eek:

I would love to see pics of what the rest of you are doing. I just purchased a couple lengths of 2 AWG wire for my battery connections and some 4 AWG for the accessories. The radiator hose mods are next on the list.

Thanks.
RB
96XJ Sport

Somebody want to roust XJChris into giving more info on that onboard air setup of his?

Yer holdin' up progress,man! I like the sound of your idea-- now share~! 8)

rbarton said:
The radiator hose mods are next on the list.

Thanks.
RB
96XJ Sport

What radiator hose mods?

Back