• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ron S's roof sliders

Pat

NAXJA Forum User
1071956123_ron_s_bars.jpg

Anyone (maybe woody, other SE'ers?) know what he used to make these, as in thickness of material, how they're mounted, bending, etc? they look pretty beefy.

Saw them in person a couple years ago or so, got a few pics like this, but didn't get as good of a look at them as I wish I did now. Seems like they would be great for leaning on stuff and also would provide some additional structure/protection to the roofline in the event of a flop.

Thanks.
Pat

that's a good idea, would be really cool if you could somehow tie each side together, if you had a cage you could make these things really strong.

they look like there just a small peice of square stock mounted to the rain gutters and surounding area.

i wish i had a set of these, i flopped on my drivers side and messed up my roof line pretty bad (right where the front driver door closes on the top :( ), i would think these would distribute the weight to the entire roof rather then just the front above the drivers area (like mine did)

i know what im doing this semester break :D

Hopefully Farmermatt will weigh in here....he has those nifty sliders integrated into the roff rack.

I am extremely interested in the LEDs. The box I built for my LEDs is very close to that, and I am wondering what he did on the side there....anyone have his contact info?

Fergie

Ron's sliders are mounted directly to the roof lateral to where the roof rack rails would be if he had them. I can't remember if they are welded or bolted or maybe even glued. IIRC, they are made out of solid stock something like 2" x 3/8 steel. Farmer Matt bolted his to the original holes for the roof rack at one point although I remember he was looking for a more solid way of doing it. He was able to winch off his rack using the original holes and they held.Hope this helps.
mattk

Thanks. Yeah, building a rack similar to FarmerMatt's has been in the plans for quite some time now, but since I still haven't built it, I thought this might be an easier, lighter, yet still effective option. However, using the existing roof rack holes like Farmer did still seems simpler...who knows what I'll end up doing. I would like to know exactly how Ron mounted those...

Pat

I asked about these quite some time ago, search, it should come up. I'm almost positive his were mounted with bolts using an inner and outer plating sandwiching the roof.

I believe Ron's are just sheet metal screwed into the roof, but I could be wrong. It would be extemely difficult to put any kind of nut inside the roof in that area. There is a metal stiffener ridge that extends out past where the roof rack rails are mounted.

Fergie, what did you want to know about the tail lights?

Matt

Farmer,

The rear lights are the way I have mine designed, but I would like to know what Ron S's side lights are done. What are they wired for? I have my rear lights wired for the usual: brake, signal, backup(doesnt need to be in reverse to switch them on). Just curious as to how he did his.

Fergie

Ron's side lights are just your usual running/marker lights. His sliders are just sheetmetal screwed to the roof and they work awesome. They'll be on my 2 dr.

Sean

thanks for the info guys. Sean, any recommendations or ideas of what you might use for thickness of materials for the sliders (mainly the foot plates)?

Pat

I'm going to use 1x2 or 2.5" 3/16 wall tube and probably just some 4x4 1/8" plate for the foot plates.

Sean

cool thanks Sean. I may end up going with round tubing and eventually build some sort of structure off the sliders, we'll see.

Pat

Back