• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RC 3" Lift - Sagging Leafs? Need opinions on where to go from here.

nwatters

NAXJA Forum User
Didn't mean to post this in OEM Tech - reposting in Modified, please delete this post in OEM Discussion...

Long time lurker, first time poster - I truly appreciate all of the info I've gotten from NAXJA during these first couple of years with my first XJ (by far my best vehicle purchase ever) and hope to be a little more active on the forums in the future.

Anyway, here's a rundown of my current setup and issues:

'99 XJ, 3" RC Series II lift (full leaf packs) (and YES, I now know better...should have gone OME out of the gate), 1/2" or 1" shackles, shackle relocation kit. The shackles and relocation kit were added almost a year after the lift was installed, in hindsight probably as a bandaid for sagging springs.

This is what the leafs look like as of today:

32907517104_b138fc36a2_b.jpg
[/url]

32907517304_02f4120e6c_b.jpg
[/url]

32907517504_acc3e07985_b.jpg
[/url]

In the back full time is a cargo box with recovery gear and tools (100-ish lbs total). Shouldn't I be able to to carry that without this happening to my springs?

I can probably warranty the springs through RC, but do I really want to? Won't they just sag again?

Is there something I can do to remedy this problem without getting another entire lift kit?

I also hate the harsh ride of the RC kit, and to be honest the fronts seem to be sagging a bit too, so do I just toss it all out the window and start over?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited:
What's the budget ? You could rebuild the existing springs by adding either a leaf from a stock XJ spring pack, or by replacing one leaf with an RE full length Add-a-Leaf.

I doubt the springs are the cause of the rough ride, you probably need better quality shocks.

What Tim said. Or buy a new set of better quality springs.

Thanks, guys. I agree - Upgrading shocks is definitely in the plan in the near future, for sure. And I'm not too sure about doing an AAL to rebuild these - won't that just sag again fairly quickly?

So is there a good HD leaf spring out there that can maintain a 3-4 inch lift with that load in the back? Budget isn't a huge issue - I can tolerate the current setup until I can afford something that's just right.

Does OME make a HD vs light duty, medium duty spring, etc?

Thanks, guys. I agree - Upgrading shocks is definitely in the plan in the near future, for sure. And I'm not too sure about doing an AAL to rebuild these - won't that just sag again fairly quickly?

So is there a good HD leaf spring out there that can maintain a 3-4 inch lift with that load in the back? Budget isn't a huge issue - I can tolerate the current setup until I can afford something that's just right.

Does OME make a HD vs light duty, medium duty spring, etc?

Yes, OME makes two variants for our XJs. Med and heavy duty. The light duty was discontinued.

Since you said price isn't a concern, I can highly recommend the OME-XJ3 kit from jeepinoutfitters. Probably the best $1400 you could ever spend on your suspension. You'll get a tad over three inches of lift and leaf packs and springs that won't sag. They are designed to be loaded.

Ok, cool - that's what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like I want the CS033RB leafs, then. I may just get those to replace the mess back there now, and piece the rest (shocks and coils) together over the next few months.

... not too sure about doing an AAL to rebuild these - won't that just sag again fairly quickly?

I have a stock XJ spring pack with an RE 2.5" AAL and an extra stock leaf. They have been run many years and probably +80,000 miles that include 4x4 events and hauling +350 lbs of cargo. Still gives 3.25 inches of lift and no sag yet.

OME is always a good choice for springs.

Just food for thought, but I went to a custom shop that makes their own springs, amongst many, many other things. The springs and coils were perfect for the lift, as well as carry the heavy loads inside while trailering, and the ride is better than with the stock springs. They also can re-arch springs. So, another option would be to look for a comparable shop and have them listen to what you are going to do with your Jeep, and make you a custom set that will keep you happy!

Another idea I used was to take s10 springs and cut the ends off top spring and add the top xj spring to it and re install. Gave me 3.5" and rides very nice and cost less than 50 bucks.

Trying to remember which ome springs are on my jeep, they were on there when I bought it, but my rear is constantly loaded, 80 pounds worth of fuel skid and bumper, spare tire in the back, air tank, couple hundred pounds of spare parts, 100 pounds of tools, and I beat the crap out of my jeep. I've wheeled it hard 2 seasons and I swear the got more bend back to them. Best option to keep original pack is to add springs from a s10.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My OME springs haven't sagged since I installed them 2 years ago. Money well spent. Some people don't like the cushy ride the OME shocks provide, but I bought them with fire and washboard gravel roads in mind and they don't disappoint. You hear the washboard more than you feel it.

My OME springs haven't sagged since I installed them 2 years ago. Money well spent. Some people don't like the cushy ride the OME shocks provide, but I bought them with fire and washboard gravel roads in mind and they don't disappoint. You hear the washboard more than you feel it.
I guess mine are the heavy, they beat me to death

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back