• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a generator, which one?

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a Stracraft 13RT pop up camper. We do a lot of offroad adventures and need a way to power the thing in the back country. During the colder months the load will be small as it will only be running the lights, dvd player and propane heater fan. The summer could prove more tricky as I have a 13,500 BTU A/C unit on the roof. I will more than likely need at least 3500-4000 watts to run the thing. I seen some on Harbor Freight's site and a bunch on EBAY that are really cheap. I know you get what you pay for but a 3000 Honda is $1700.

For any of the generator experts what am I looking for in a generator that will power the A/C unit and run the lights and what not in the summer? Any links you can provide would be a big help as well.

Start looking for a couple year old honda...you'll never forgive yourself if you buy some noisy piece of shit.

That 3000 is the one I am saving for as well. It is very pricey but you get what you pay for.

shelbyluvv said:
That 3000 is the one I am saving for as well. It is very pricey but you get what you pay for.
Just bought one for the jobsite. started on the first pull out of the box.

My father has the 2000 version and is just as happy.

Fergie

I would do some research on a rv forum. I did and decided to buy the kipor 2000ti. It runs my 13,500 ac unit with no problem at elevations up to 3,000 ft. If you need it to work at elevations higher than that you may need to adjust the carb. Oh yeah I have been very happy with it. expect to pay $7-800.

The easiest way to figgure it out is to multiply the total amprage of the main breaker by 120. EX...a 50A breaker at 120V = 6000w, or a 50A breaker at 240V = 12,000w.

Items such as toaster, lamps, and coffee makers are resistive, or constant loads and their total load can be calculated at amps x 1. Items such as A/C units, and fridges are reactive loads and while the running load may be small, the starting load should be calculated at running amps x 3. Remember, after the intial start less power is required for actual operation. Your biggest power users is going to be the A/C unit, fridge, and if equipped electric water heater.

I am VERY happy /w my Honda EU3000i. VERY quiet, good output, good fuel economy, etc. I've owned coleman, generac, etc.... nothing compares to the Honda. You definitely get what you pay for.

J

Back