• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help 2 of the six plugs still look new.

livewire

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a new to me 88 jeep cherokee. It would not even start. I went through all the sensors. Changed cap and rotor, new plugs, new wires, cleaned all the grounds. The catalitic convertor was shot got a new one and muffler. I checked the compression today all cylinders were in the 125psi range. I did not have a helper so I cranked the engine than went over to see what the gage said. I this ok? or do I have to watch the gauge while some one turns it over. As I was pulling the plugs to check the compression I noticed that 1 thru 4 where black with a brown tip, but 5 and 6 (the ones closest the fire wall look almost brand new. Not black at all still shiny. I probably only have 30 miles on the new plugs. Should they be black or should they all be shiny. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated. John McHorney

if they are shinny means glazing, but 30 miles dont really tell anything, check after 500 miles.

The jeep wont run well enough to drive 500 miles. I drove no more then 20 miles
on the six brand new plugs. Started it a few times while trouble shooting it. Then I took the plugs out to do a compression test. 2 plugs still look brand new.
4 plugs look used. Could a disributor that is indexed wrong cause this?

The plugs should be shiny. What did you gap them at? Did the engine get to operating temp?
I could be wrong, but if the ignition is indexed wrong, I'm thinking there should be consistancy between all the cylinders. I'm thinking that you need to check the fuel side: Two clogged injectors causing the rest to run rich for the O2 sensor?
Four that leak causing the two good ones to lean out?

All the same, go through and verify the work you have already done. There are very few things ignition-wise that can create this much inconsistancy.

Hypoid is right.

what type and make of plugs are u running, jeeps dont like certain plugs, this is not a joke. I will try to find a thread on this.

champion coppers
Champion Truck plug #4430

not not run platnium plugs, the problem with plats is if u burn oil, it will foul the plugs.

Chams are cheap and reliable.

ok guys, thanks for all the help. The problem is solved. I am an idiot. When I origionally changed the plug wires, I put them back on the way they were when I got the xj. I guess the owner had them wrong also(5 and 6 reversed). XJ runs great with wires on the right way. When I went back out to work on it today I pulled my book out to double check which plug went to which cylinder I was shocked and mad that I did not catch it sooner. thanks again John Mchorney

ok guys, thanks for all the help. The problem is solved. I am an idiot. When I origionally changed the plug wires, I put them back on the way they were when I got the xj. I guess the owner had them wrong also(5 and 6 reversed). XJ runs great with wires on the right way. When I went back out to work on it today I pull my book out to double check which plug went to which cylinder I was shocked and mad that I did not catch it sooner. thanks again John Mchorney

good job.
fight.gif

Back