• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E3 spark plugs

knightsoul

NAXJA Forum User
Well i bought into the hype and bought E3 spark plugs. that same day my 2000 xj sport started stalling for no apparent reason other than it was cold. after numerous trips to the mechanic, spending hundreds of dollars on diagnosis fees, and changing out my crankshaft position sensor, oil pressure switch, and camshaft position sensor, i threw in a set of autolites and lo and behold! no stalling in 2 days and countin! my reccomendation is stay away from them!

Yup, splitfires and E3.................not good for the 4.0

I went with the champion truck plugs after reading all of the recommendations on this forum and a few other places. runs much smoother then the platinums i had in.

personally i would recommend changing the autolites to champions. go with the part number listed under your hood. (stock replacement)

when i replace customers spark plugs i ALWAYS go with the stock replacements unless the engine and ignition system is upgraded. I had one customer who swore high and holly by bosh platinums since he used them on his bikes that he builds and other stuff. i warned him to stay away from them. a couple weeks later he started having running issues. I told him to replace the plugs with stock champions, and if it didn't fix his problem i would personally pay for another tune-up out of pocket and fix any associated issues out of pocket. he replaced the plugs with champions and hasn't had a problem since. that was 5 months ago.

after numerous trips to the mechanic, spending hundreds of dollars on diagnosis fees, and changing out my crankshaft position sensor, oil pressure switch, and camshaft position sensor, i threw in a set of autolites and lo and behold! no stalling in 2 days and countin! my reccomendation is stay away from them!

I would recommend finding a new mechanic and asking more questions when your vehicle is in the shop. Or at least point me in the direction of the money pile you're pulling from.

I run the Champion truck plugs and love them, however I hear that if you have a coil pack instead of a distributor you should run NGK platinums or something like that.

I support champs. The only reason I have Splitfires in my 90 is that is the only way I could get it to pass emmissions after injector replacements.

actually jeepman. now that you mention it, i'm not sure what year they started, but sometime around the time they went to coil packs they also changed the factory plugs to NGK. the NGK's suck in the older jeeps. but i've so far replaced factory plugs in 4 2001+ jeeps and they used NGK from the factory. BUT....they also list a secondary champion number as a replacement from the factory. so you can either go NGK or champion in the newer ones.

Its very strange that the 4.0's dislike anything other than copper plugs. I used a few different types platinum plugs in my 92 XJ, with only loosing MPG and power. Then I moved to copper Champion (The OE plug) with zero problems.

This should be a lesson to ONLY use the plugs the engine calls for. But, I use the E3 in my snow blower, lawn mower, and all small engines with great results (less fuel being wasted). But thats it.

My friend has a Nissan 240 with a skyline 2.0 RB20 inline 6 with 15 PSI of boost, and it ruins even the best NGK copper plugs.

i just put the platinum 4 bosch in mine a couple of days ago and it fixed my bad idle but they are the most i have ever spent on plugs but ther are garanteed for like 5 years i think maybe 3 i forget

your bad idle was fixed by the fact that you put in NEW spark plugs. changes are in a few weeks to a couple months those plugs are going to foul out on you and you'll be changing plugs again.

well i guess everybodys input is different and i talked to a couple of different people and they said that they have had them since they came out and they still run fine

NGK V-power plugs are awesome - like Champions, they have a solid copper core - no platinum or iridium crap, no copper "coated" core. Copper is a much better conductor, platinum just happens to last longer. Dont ge the NGK platinums or iridiums...

Save the platinum for hydrogen powered cars...

JNickel101 said:
NGK V-power plugs are awesome - like Champions, they have a solid copper core - no platinum or iridium crap, no copper "coated" core. Copper is a much better conductor, platinum just happens to last longer. Dont ge the NGK platinums or iridiums...

Save the platinum for hydrogen powered cars...
\

x2...If V-power plugs work in a turbo engine with 16 psi of boost and last, they will work in anything.

t-frady said:
i just put the platinum 4 bosch in mine a couple of days ago and it fixed my bad idle but they are the most i have ever spent on plugs but ther are garanteed for like 5 years i think maybe 3 i forget

Its most likely fixed becouse they are new. This is my opinion on Bosch 4's, and also from personal experiance. Think about it this way.. You know have four outer electrodes and one inner electrode. Your ignition system has not changed so you are still sending the same amount of energy to create a spark at the plug. Now introduce the 4 outer electrodes. You are now splitting that spark power into 4 weaker sparks. To me that is not a good scenerio. I have gone back to the Champion copper truck plugs (use to run platinums) and have had no issues at all. Runs better infact. Anyways just my .02 worth

I tried the Bosch single platinums and they were just fine for 15,000 miles - until I started delivering rural mail. The extreme stop and go caused them to foul out and no start - BUT the electrodes were worn down into the insulators, so I needed plugs anyway.

I run NGK V-powers now, simple plug with no issues for my '90. I'm convinced the fancy plugs are just to cut down throwing codes on OBDII systems. The computers pick up misfires all to readily, just to support the dealer repair network.

I was going to go with the NGK on mine but there was nowhere in around that had them. It was hard enough to find the Champion truck plugs.

Back