• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I kill the Canister Purge Solenoid? (EVAP system)

SeansBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I ran some Mopar combustion chamber cleaner (dealership version of sea foam) through my 2000 XJ. Now following the directions I though I got all the necessary vaccum lines disonected. But now I am having EVAP issues, throwing codes and it's not running quite right. Looking around I realized I didn't disconect the Selonid afterall :banghead: . It under normal operation has a ticking noise, now its silent. Im assuming its dead and my issue?

Could I have damaged anything else besides this, or should replacing this fix it? I have one on hold till the end of the day at the Stealership and I was going to get it after work. Am I on the right page here, or should I worry about my charcoal canister or something too now?

Do you know what the exact codes are? Did you try disconnecting the neg battery cable and letting the whole system reset?

I've run seafoam through mine and never disconnected anything...? Maybe you put a vac line back in the wrong spot or forgot one? That can cause your rough running....

Well the codes at the time (dont have the #s on hand can get them at lunch time) were for a large evap leak, and #6 cyl misfire. i did find one vacum line not on tight and that smothed stuff out a ton. but after re-setting via the battery disconect i got a check engine again (dont know what it is now i used auto zone's service to check codes and im not there any more) but i did notice that the solenoid is now silent and it only has the slightest of issues now, but they are still there.

on the other font i think im going to break down and get the scan guage i wanted so i have a code reader too... the obdII readers are about the same cost any way.

you could have fouled a plug....sometimes that stuff can be harsh on plugs and O2 sensors.

JNickel101 said:
you could have fouled a plug....sometimes that stuff can be harsh on plugs and O2 sensors.

My next step is to change all the plugs. :repair: but that purge solenoid still needs to be changed it used to tick, im told it should tick, and it no longer ticks so i know that's shot at least.

Ok, an update. I replaced the Solenoid, disconected the battery to re-start and now it's smoothed out (and solenoid is ticking like it should) but it's throwing a code again, I will go to have it read after work. But its defentally a diffrent code, last time the check engine light blinked (big problem) now it's solid (small problem). The engine runs fine underway, but when at a stop light it will every onece in a while have just 1 rough rev it almost hesitates for a second as though a cylinder is missing just every once in a while, but if it were mis-firing on a cylinder wouldnt I notice when moving? As i say i wil get the codes, but I wanted to see if anyone has any theories now.

OK update again, reset the comp one more time, now no more code, but it still have the stumble every once in a while, Almost like something isnt clearing when at a light etc. none of this happens when in motion. Any thoughts? Something still isnt clearing properly.

Back