• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ID light variations on trailers?

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a car hauling trailer and it came with the three lights across the back in the center. I removed them and installed a receiver tube in the center of the back crossmember. I was going to install two rubber mounted red lights to either side of the tube. However, I've been looking into the rules and regulations and don't think that is legal. Anybody have any input on this? The Federal rules I found are located here (way near the bottom):

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...rule_toc=777&section=571.108&section_toc=2075

Jeff

Just buy one of the lights that mount in the hitch reciever hole and mount your 2 other lights like you planned. This should be enough to be legal.

TNT said:
Just buy one of the lights that mount in the hitch reciever hole and mount your 2 other lights like you planned. This should be enough to be legal.

I had considered that, but decided to instead weld in part of the piece I had cut out and then cut out more below. I had to cut the C channel all the way through and weld the receiver in hanging about a half inch below the C channel. I added 2" pieces of 1/4" plate on either side of the reciever tube with holes in them for safety chains and also to add a bit of strength to the whole thing. I think it looks just fine and should work well. I've got just enough room above the receiver tube to re-mount the strip of three lights. Jeff

those three lights in the center at the bottom and the one on each side of the rear of a flat bed trailer are to show that the vehicle (trailer) is wider than most other vehicles. i forget what the actual measurement is as far as requireing them, but they are a good idea. they are also used on the top of tall vehicles and box (van) type trailers as well also to show vehicle size.

it is a good idea and a legal requirement in some/most areas to have them. since you said that you installed a reciever hitch, i take it your going to be towing two trailers at the same time. i would try to find a thinner set of lights at parts stores or trailer supply/sales stores if your original ones dont fit anymore.

remember to know your load, know your tow vehicle and know your brakes.

Back