• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core Replacement

tylergrant2011

NAXJA Forum User
On my 87 MJ i bypassed my heater core back 8 months ago or so. Its beginning to turn colder and i need some advice or tips. Is there a write up on this or can someone explain an easy route to tackle this job. Thanks

Many, many write ups available on this site and others. I did mine this weekend on the '00, and Google-fu was my friend. It's not all that hard, just tedious. Get a box of Ziploc bags and label screws and parts as they come off. I didn't take out the seats or steering column, just dropped it, and was able to swing away the dash to get to the box.

I didn't get to finish, however, as I went to get parts and my storage locker was broken into and parts were stolen. Lovely...

The easiest way is to completely remove the dash. I can do it in about 20 minutes. Once the dash is out, the rest is easy.

Just did one recently on my 94. Super easy. It gets complicated with ac. Remove blower motor. Then remove lower valance of dash. Remove defrost cover, undo four bolts 8m located there. Remove kick panels, and remove two bolts 15m there. Then remove ac lines. And heater hoses. Then remove 7m bolts 4-5 inside. Then remove three studs engine side. Lift dash and remove box at same time. I had to unfold the washer bottle on mine, but mines a 94. Did it in 5 hours that included recharge of ac.

Depends if you have ac or not. I remember it being easier with my none ac xj. I think there are a few short cuts if you're not dealing with the evaporator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some great write ups on cherokeeforum.com with lots of pictures, not sure if we have them on this site. You will need to empty the A/C system, disconnect the heater hoses, applicable vacuum lines, and pull the dash to get at the heater box. Then you open up the heater box, replace the parts, reassemble, reinstall, and fill the coolant system and A/C system. Lots of vehicles have been like this since the 1980's, so don't curse the Jeep. Some do have an easy way out but ours is not one of them.

Oh, and if Tom (old_man) can do it in 20 minutes I'd love to see him do it to mine in 20. :D You need to plan a day or two for the complete repair.

I have AC but it's not hooked up or charged. In other words I'm using the compressor just as a pulley for the drive belt. so most people would agree that pulling the dash is the easiest way out? And if anybody can post a link or so to a write-up on this particular model or pretty close it would be greatly appreciated.

I do not agree with pulling the dash out. Just did 2 of these in the last year and it's not necessary. The FSM for YOUR Jeep will have the correct info.

On 97 and later, the heater core replacement procedure is different.

You can cheat and not pull the column, but honestly by the time you've dropped it down it's easier to remove it then fight everything around it. If you can find/borrow/download/steal a copy of the factory service manual, it's a huge help. They are pretty "year-specific" though. I had a '98 handy for mine(a '00) and there are several differences between the years.

..,I did mine this weekend on the '00,..
Funny,.. so did I. Finished closing it up Monday night.
Yep easy except for the nut behind the motor on the firewall
'Dropped that little bastard on reassembly. It's living out it's days on top the transmission now.

Back