NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 12th, 2013, 13:04
NAXJA Forum User

Smile 1991 XJ start after 2 years

Hi everybody.

I was wondering if you could help me a bit with my 1991 XJ. I'ts the Limited, came with leather power seats, NP242, 4.0 i6 engine and the AW-4. I'ts been sitting at the garage for 2 years without turning it on and my dad and i decided to make it work again. We've bought new oil, a new oil mann filter, fuel filter new gas and new coolant. We wanted to make sure we get the maximum old gas off the tank and fuel rails so we used the syhpon method to drain the gas tank but didn't find the pressure release cap on the fuel rail (see pics) to release the gas in it. Is there any other method to do this? Apart from changing fluids, and filters, do you recomend any other thing to do to the cherokee before starting it or after to tune it up?

Thank you very much from Spain.

Marantz.

Old August 12th, 2013, 18:33
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 1991 XJ start after 2 years

as far as fuel is concerned, the 2 lines going in towards the bottom of the picture, the ones with the plastic tabs, are the 2 fuel lines, disconnect them and drain them if you wanted.
Old August 13th, 2013, 04:52
NAXJA Forum User

Hi.

We'll try what you said to get the gas out. Any other recomendations before starting it up or after?

Thanks!
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:24
NAXJA Forum User

Unplug the CPS. Crank it over til you see oil pressure reading on the gauge. Plug the CPS back in and fire it off.
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:40
NAXJA Forum User

Hi!

The crank position sensoror the camshaft position sensor?

Thx

Marantz.
Old August 13th, 2013, 15:44
NAXJA Forum User

Crank.
Old August 13th, 2013, 15:50
Gone but not forgotten...

CRANK position sensor-- it will restrict the spark until it's plugged in and keep you from "dry firing" the engine.

I would suggest blowing the lines free of old gas before starting it, but I've been known to start 5-6 year old engines without much cleanup of the lines....
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:09
NAXJA Forum User

Hi.

Yes, we were going to get the maximum old gas out of the fuel lines but i'm not sure if i can blow air into the fuel lines you see on the pics to try to get the gas out because i don't know what is worse, to have air in the fuel system or old gas?

Thanks.

Marantz.

Last edited by MarantzVieta; August 14th, 2013 at 11:23.
Old August 14th, 2013, 19:25
Freakish Hand Strength

I wouldn't worry about, or bother with removing the old gas. I bought a Cherokee that sat for 2 years under a tree, with the gas cap removed. It sat for another 6 months while I fixed it. When it was fixed, I started it up, and drove to the gas station to re-fill the gas tank. No problems with the old gas, or after 2 years of driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.

Last edited by Tim_MN; August 14th, 2013 at 19:29.
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:42
NAXJA Forum User

Hi.

You left really nice your Jeep!

One last question, it is worth to change the belt before trying to start it up to make sure it doesn't break? Because maybe is not in good condition after such a long time without starting. Although i don't see it in bad condition i prefer to ask because my dad had an Audi wich the belt broke and made a complete failure on the engine :S

Thanks a lot!

Marantz.
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Unplug the CPS. Crank it over til you see oil pressure reading on the gauge. Plug the CPS back in and fire it off.
I'd be worried about dirt and water getting into...wait a minute...there IS no dirt and/or water anywhere around there. It looks like it's been in a zip lock bag all that time.

If this is where it's been sitting for 2 years...I'd do what Cruiser sez. See what you get. My XJ sat for a year...outside, in the rain, snow, hot, cold, dust, pollen, mice, bird crap. It fired right up and drove off in to the sunset...still going strong.

I wish my Jeep had it's own living room.
Old August 16th, 2013, 14:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarantzVieta View Post
Hi.

You left really nice your Jeep!

One last question, it is worth to change the belt before trying to start it up to make sure it doesn't break? Because maybe is not in good condition after such a long time without starting. Although i don't see it in bad condition i prefer to ask because my dad had an Audi wich the belt broke and made a complete failure on the engine :S

Thanks a lot!

Marantz.
Fire it up already!! The Audi was a timing belt, not a serpentine accessory drive belt. You're fine. Start it.
Old August 16th, 2013, 16:23
Freakish Hand Strength

Inspect the fan belt, if it looks like it needs replacement, the job is simple and the cost of the new belt is low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:04
NAXJA Forum User

Hi everybody!

I followed your recomendations and here it is!! It started at the first try after connecting again the CPS. It's a great car. I'll try to upload a video.

Thank you to everybody!

Marantz.