• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High2by - About me

High2by

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm in the same boat with Ed as far as never doing anything like this before, but since he got the ball rolling, I thought I needed to jump on and let some of you know a little about me too. (Some of you know alot about me but we'll keep that to ourselves.:D)

As Ed stated, I got into XJ's in 2008. Actually, Ed turned me on to them. He got his XJ first and after doing some research here on NAXJA I decided it would be fun to build one too. I started off with an '89 Laredo. It was a nice little stock XJ and then the work began. The Crawl of '08 was it's maiden voyage and if it hadn't been for the members of the SEC, we wouldn't have been able to wheel that trip. You see, the NSS played out on me and rredalty bypassed the switch so it would start. My first trip wheeling and the first time I had met anyone from NAXJA and they stepped up and saved the day for me. That's what got me hooked. It's the people you wheel with and the relationships you make that keep me doing this.

When the elections rolled around in 2008 I had already decided that I wanted to contribute back to the SEC and to NAXJA. After winning the Treasurer position by default, I set out to see what could be done to improve on the finances of the SEC. Since there wasn't much to improve on, I just started from scratch. I set up an account to start with and I got set up online to keep track of everything. Now I keep a hard copy of all the statements plus the online banking.

The swag was something that was also new to me. I keep the swag and decals at my house and ship them out as needed from work. It's not a perfect system but it has served the purpose well, I think.

I've met many people all across the SEC. Some from wheeling parties and others from wrenchfests and meet & greets. There are many more places I want to go so I'm sure I'll meet even more of the great people of the SEC.

A little about me, well, I'm an old, gray haired man.:roflmao:Just ask anyone that's met me.:D I've got enough kids for a ballteam and several of them have been to events with me. Even my wife has come out and joined in the fun. She has helped with past Crawls and helps me with the swag as well.

I've tried to fill this position to the best of my abilities, so if you have any questions or comments please let me know. If I'm elected I'll continue to do the job as best I can.

SEC RULES!!!!

Thanks,
Mark (High2by) Morton

The current swag program is all Mark's doing. From fronting his personal money to buy at least two batches of shirts and one run of hoodies to finding two companies to make shirts for us (Cottontail put us onto one that has worked out really well).

Now we have $1600 in the bank when we didn't have $100 when we took over 2 years ago. The last run of shirts were paid out of club funds. He has brought us a long way from where we started.

Mark, do you have plans for expanding the swag program at all? If so, how?

I would love to expand it to include hats, key chains, coozies and possibly other items. The coozies and key chains aren't that difficult to manage but the hat situation gets a little dicey. Take you for instance, I know you like the squished ratty hat and alot of guys do but some guys like mesh hats, some like structured hats, some like non structured and so on. My thinking is to take suggestions as to what type of hat people would want and then take the top 3 or 4 and do a poll on it. Even then some won't buy them because it's not to their liking but with so many styles available now, it would be impossible to please everyone.

I'm also thinking of doing a jacket. A windbreaker type. I haven't checked on any prices or styles but I believe a nice one would be a good addition.

If anyone has thoughts as to other items that they would like to see as SEC swag, please let me know. Obviously we can't make everything with the SEC logo but a few select items would be great!

Thanks,
Mark

What kind of options exist for doing on-demand swag? Is that something that we could be interested in?

SEC rain jackets? Maybe safety orange with black logos, perhaps even with a pouch so you can keep it handy in the Jeep?

Never know when you'll be changing axles shafts or a flat on the highway in a thunder storm.

Anyway I've not been here too long, but having met Mark, Ed, and Glenn and wheeled with them as well. I know they're straight up good guys and can't think of anybody that I would rather see on the BOD.

Last edited:
What kind of options exist for doing on-demand swag? Is that something that we could be interested in?

I will check with both suppliers and see if either one can accommodate that. If the prices are reasonable enough, then yes, it's something we could get into.

SEC rain jackets? Maybe safety orange with black logos, perhaps even with a pouch so you can keep it handy in the Jeep?

Never know when you'll be changing axles shafts or a flat on the highway in a thunder storm.

Anyway I've not been here too long, but having met Mark, Ed, and Glenn and wheeled with them as well. I know they're straight up good guys and can't think of anybody that I would rather see on the BOD.

Rain Jackets...good idea. I can sure check on it.

Thanks.

Poncho's would be awesome!

Back