NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 12th, 2020, 12:27
NAXJA Forum User

hyrdro boost brakes

i had them on a CJ about ten yrs. ago, they worked great stopping 37's on heavy steel beadlocks,dana 44 , w/ a 4.1 dana 300 & auto trans. the same vanco kit now is almost double in cost.now im in a xj w/ heavy 36's on heavy steel wheels, 4.1 241 tc w/ auto trans . the wj brake conversion has helped but still low range wants to drive thru the brakes. anyone here have the hydro boost brakes w/ a similiar setup , are ur brakes holding it rolling downhill ? also any other kits out there other than vanco ? ive heard some people waiting 2 months to kit orders from vanco ?
Old January 12th, 2020, 20:54
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Re: hyrdro boost brakes

Call Blaine at black magic brakes and talk to him. Very blunt and down to earth, and always willing to discuss options.
Old January 13th, 2020, 10:33
NAXJA Member

Blaine is the expert when it comes to Jeep brakes. He helped me out by engineering a solution for my Jeeps with Warn 5 on 5.5" hubs ten years ago and I am still grateful for the time he spent with me working on my Jeep. Those brakes have been perfect.
Old January 13th, 2020, 11:06
NAXJA Forum User

What pads have you tried? With my stroker and a 4:1 TC with WJ/KJ brakes, I have always been "close" to over-riding" my brakes but my EBC Yellow Trucks took care of that.
Old January 14th, 2020, 05:36
NAXJA Forum User

i did use the yellows before the wj knuckle swap, recently put some black magics on, but no off road time w/ them yet. steep downhills in 4 lo w/ the auto sometimes when a complete stop is needed the brakes barely can hold it. i often have to pop it in neutral & maybe even pull on the parking brake.
Old January 14th, 2020, 06:47
NAXJA Member

I know he caught a lot of crap on several of the different forums, but have you looked in to piecing together the brakes Cobra Marty has posted? I used my old MJ knuckles, WK2 calipers & Ford SportTrac rotors on my XJ and have been happy with them.

I don't have 4:1 yet and I run 35's on 16's. But you could run the 350mm WK2 calipers with mustang rotors & 17's.
01 XJ - Rock Link, 4.56s & Treps
88 MJ - In rebuild hibernation
Old January 14th, 2020, 07:10
NAXJA Warranty Voider

It sounds to me like your brakes are not insufficient, but rather that they are not functioning. A lot of us run WJ brakes with 3.8 or 4.3 atlas's with big tires and big strokers, and have no problems locking up our tires or holding the car at a stop on any incline.

I'd be looking at air in the lines, bent axle shafts that are pushing pistons back into calipers, etc.