• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picking up a used 4.0l

josh89xj

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 has finally had it,i found a 4.0 from a t-boned jeep with 92000 mi and a give away at 350.00. Anything I should watch out for or look over b4 grabing it up? Anything suggested to do to it before droping it in?

Check the condition of the spark plugs and oil. If you can, check the valve train, see if there is any gunk built up. Look at the freeze plugs. Look for any oil leaks. Are you able to hear it run?

If you do get it now would be the best time to replace the rear seal.

chris

it runs good,compression check all ok i bought a master gasket set,is it worth changing the head gasket now or should i leave it until it actually needs it.Its going to sit on the stand for a few days just looking for suggestions ot to do's and dont's before i drop it in.

If you have the gaskets. Do them. You now have an opportunity to thoroughly go over it and make sure that it is exactly how you want it. Its your peace of mind and feeling of satisfaction.
I'd do a complete teardown myself and clean every internal piece of that motor myself. Reassemble and let er rip!

My thoughts exactly,I was told by a few not to touch it, but I would feel alot better with knowing everythings good to go. Is there a benifit from taking out stock cooling fans and placing 2 12" electric fans? Or is that a worthless task? Any other mods,replacements, or misc things that will help insure that I wont have to pull it apart again soon?

Back