• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picking up my Cherokee Friday

white99z

NAXJA Forum User
I am picking up a 1989 jeep cherokee on Friday. It is a laredo with power everything. 4.0 5 speed. 150K miles (?) its a Canadian Jeep and everything is in kilometers. I dont remember what it said on the odometer when i drove it. The body is straight and the floor is solid. Only rust is the rocker panels which I will be replacing. Only problems are at idle it stalls sometimes (the guy says he thinks its the throttle body and is replacing it), wheel bearing makes some noise, and the tranny pops out of reverse if you dont hold it down. Theres tons of new parts and has an extra hood and drivers door that the guy had laying around. I cant wait to start working on it. I had a 91 2 door when I was 16 and am kicking myself in the ass for trading it in.

Good luck man, but be careful the Peugot transmission in the Jeep is not the best and it sounds like it already has some issues. I had an 89 for years and dealt with all sorts of trans issues. If I could do it again I would opt for a 90- since the use the much stronger ax-15. My current 96 has the ax-15 and it is rock solid

Well if you're setting it up as a trail rig, or even just beefing it up, newer larger axles will get rid of the wheel bearing problem.....:D

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a conversion kit to swap in a Chevy tranny or something like that. I saw it a while back and it wasn't for my year so I didn't really research it. It may have been a kit from Atlas, but again, don't quote me. Wish I could give you more info than that.....HTH!

white99z said:
I wish I would have known this about the transmission. Anyone else?

Check my reply to your thread asking about this specifically. It's not the end of the world, but there are some things you might want to consider.

If it's a late-89 it will have the AX-15. No sense getting worked up about tranny swaps before you find out for sure which tranny is in it.

BrettM had a Pugeot and had no problems with it in his MJ, just swaped it based on recomendation - might PM him about the swap and see what it entails.
i wouldnt worry about it too much - at least its not an auto :laugh3:

Back