• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto To Manual Conversion...

Hey, my friend is looking at a manual XJ and wants to have an auto. How hard is it to go the other way (as opposed to what was mentioned before)?

unbolt all manual parts

bolt in all auto parts

on the cop XJ, there should be a removable cover on the floor where the shifter would go.

I'll trade you! 'course I have the BA/10 :rolleyes:

seriously, if you do this, let me know and I may want your AW-4, especially since I would like column shift since I have an MJ.

as for what you should use NV4500, nv3550, AX-15... in that order

Speed_racer said:
Hey, Id be interested, and I figured itd be a bolt off bolt on, BUT!!!!!! how do I install the CLUTCH PEDAL!!!!

If you look up under the dash next to the brake petal, there will be 3 center punch marks on the fire wall. The center punch mark is for the body of the clutch master cylinder and the 2 outside holes are what bolts the clutch master to the firewall. Get the clutch petal and brake petal assymbly out of a manual XJ and drill out the punch marks in the fire wall for the clutch master cylinder and bolt them in. Everything else is just a bolt on affair.

If any body is intrested in a 1991 AW-4 auto tranny, I have one left over from my 91 when I went to a manual.

AARON

Are you wheeling in mud or something where you need the extra torque you can get out of a manual? We rock-hounds tend to like our AW4s.

i've got a 1993 GC. i've been working up some diagrams on how i did my shifter. i wanted to get a better powerband and more out of the 15 lbs of boost i was running, and decided to ditch the aw4 for a manual. i used a high performance race built 5 speed (dear lord that cost a lot) that bolted through where the old one went, i just cut a hole out of the center console, got a leather bit and everything. i used the clutch set off a 1994 manual GC and just bolted it on where need be. i'll post up the diagrams here in a few if i can find em

Way to respond to a thread that died 5 years ago!

I'm pretty sure by now they have all worked out their issues. :)

Its easy in a 93'...

The assembly for the brake under the dash is replaced with one built for a manual and a clutch pedal.

Do not put a ba/10 pugeot in there... The output shaft will require an older transfercase and they are known to be junk! internal slave, light duty gears...

Go for the ax15.

XJR

Back