• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing leak in transmission cooler hose (I think).

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
I'm leaking red fluid from a small black hose where it connects to a bent silver color hose, sort of between the radiator and the engine. The black hose appears to have some kind of braided black cover also. I'm assuming this is a hose to or from the transmission cooler. I can't see exactly where the hose and metal tube runs to because of the black "skirt" that covers the bottom of the engine compartment.

Just tightening the connector didn't help so I am going to try completely loosening it then retightening it. If that doesn't work I will probably replace the hose.

My questions are:

1) do you think I will loose all the transmission fluid when I disconnect the hose or just a little?

2) What transmission fluid should I use? I've read a couple of posts about mistakes in the manual and it seems it has been discussed to death. Just tell me what to pick-up at Napa autoparts and I will :wink:

and 3) can I pull off the black skirt? It's practically falling off anyways! I'm assuming it is just to keep mud and debris out of the engine compartment.

Thanks for your help!

1) do you think I will loose all the transmission fluid when I disconnect the hose or just a little?

[b:2007211975]it would only dribble out if it's pointing down.[/b:2007211975]

2) What transmission fluid should I use? I've read a couple of posts about mistakes in the manual and it seems it has been discussed to death. Just tell me what to pick-up at Napa autoparts and I will :wink:

[b:2007211975]I use the red stuff[/b:2007211975] :lol: I'm going with Redline synthetic when I change my tranny fluid

3) can I pull off the black skirt? It's practically falling off anyways! I'm assuming it is just to keep mud and debris out of the engine compartment.

[b:2007211975]Get rid of it if it's flopping around. It could fly off and get caught in the belt[/b:2007211975]

I had the same leak on my tranny when I took it in for service. I also had a leak where the hard line goes into the tranny, so check that too. The shop I went to said that the rubber hose leak was one of those things that should just be replaced. Tightening won't really work on an old hose. The new hose was under 10 bucks. Hope this helps.

Karlm

Thanks for the help.

Back