• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ring gear and pinion?

Mark SS

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to find out what gear my 86 Xj came with? I bought it off a friend of mine he had put 4.88 gears in it and later bought a 89 to put his lift and gears in. He put the rear axle out of the 89 and front gears in the 86. The 86 has a 2.8 that is weak to begin with and I don't thank that the 3.54 gears that are in it now are right for it. My friend can't remember what the 86 came with from the factory. Is there a place I can look to find out what it might have come with?

Jack up one tire....put transfer case in neutral....spin tire 1 time and count how many times the drive shaft spins. It will get you close enough to guess. drive shaft rotations 3.5=3.55 or 3.75=3.73 or 4=4.10

quick and easy. more accurate to pull the diff cover and count teeth but way messier.

Or you can go to a Jeep dealership and they can look it up on their computer for free. just need VIN numbers. If you do the other way J33 said you must do it on a rear wheel.

I know what is in it right now 3.54's but they are out of a 89 cherokee that has a 4.0, mine is a 86 that has a 2.8 that will not fall out of a tree. I was wondering what might have come in it from the factory. I have looked in the jeep for a build paper or some codes that might be in there but I have not found anything.

Back