• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 D30 one piece axle shaft conversion.

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I have done lots of searching on the net over the last few days but just wanna hear from somone who has done it. I have a 86 xj vacuum disconnect d30 with 4.10's waiting to swap into my truck. I plan on pulling my current shafts which are non disconnect and bigger u joints and installing them in the donor diff.

To make it simple i was planning on buying the warn kit. But i have read that the inner seal is to small since the tube size is smaller in xj's compared to yj tubes which the kit is for.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd30convert/yjconvert-1.htm

I have also read that xj's have 3 different size tubes ? One thread i read said that one model cant even fit a one piece shaft?

When looking for inner seal part numbers i have came across these numbers:

Chicago Rawhide Part No: CR-11343
National Part No: 471763
Quadratec Part No: 52420.12
Napa part # is CR 11800
Napa 11771

Anyone have any luck with any of them in a 86?

The only way to know is to take it apart and try it....MOST of the time it works out ok....My '85 model was one of the wierd ones...Funny....after a year I'm still waiting for a call back from the supplier about what to do..:confused1 .....actually, I gave up and built a non disco axle...

MudDawg said:
The only way to know is to take it apart and try it....MOST of the time it works out ok....My '85 model was one of the wierd ones...Funny....after a year I'm still waiting for a call back from the supplier about what to do..:confused1 .....actually, I gave up and built a non disco axle...

Your 85 would not accept a one piece shaft?

When I still had my 30 (1986 model) in the XJ, I converted it and tried to use the 11771 seal. The O.D. of that seal was much smaller than the I.D. of axle tube...so it wouldn't work. I ended up buying a factory non-disco type seal (which was larger than the axle tube's I.D.) and machining the tube to fit. Probably not the best option for everyone, but my buddy is a machinist so it was a good one for me. I imagine you could do the same with a die grinder and some patience.

The axle would work fine, but I ran into the same problem that "myjeepsbigger" ran into...but I don't have a machinist friend and didn't feel like bodging it together.

Looks like i need to buy a few seals and try them out. What about the brakes and unit bearing or hub Assemblies? are they straight bolt in from 92 into a 86 d30?

If you use the '86 knuckles, you will need to use the same year hubs, calipers and discs....

Look like i need to swap my knuckles along with all the brakes onto the 86 donor axle. Is it hard to swap knuckles? How do i do it ? What tools are needed?

canadianwheeler said:
Look like i need to swap my knuckles along with all the brakes onto the 86 donor axle. Is it hard to swap knuckles? How do i do it ? What tools are needed?

You should be able to use everything from the 86. The only thing I swapped was my shafts.

NAPA rocks... Measured the ID of the axle tube (2.0") and the OD of the shaft (1.19") they gave me the CR11800 and it fit perfect in an '88 housing with Yukon 4340 shafts

Tommy

myjeepsbigger said:
You should be able to use everything from the 86. The only thing I swapped was my shafts.

I have read that the 86 brake system used standard brake line threads and the 92 system in metric. So i would need to replace the brake lines as well. Also the older style has limited selection of brake pads. The current brakes on the 86 are pretty much rusted all over. So i think it might be worth it to swap it all over.

I'm dealing with a similar situation myself. I've a '90 disco, but have the problem that the inside bearing is toast. If I can go one-piece shafts in the existing axle, would make everything easier, BUT I also have the NP231 t-case so I don't have full time 4WD.
I've heard this can cause problems when turning on road as the wheels can't turn at different speeds? Is this true? if I do the one piece shaft with the NP231, what issues am I facing that I'll have to deal with?

Non-disco front with 231: no problems except possibly front ds vibes if the angles are wrong.....the only difference is driveshaft spins all the time....and you shouldn't be trying to run any vehicle on pavement in fulltime anyways..the positive thing is you won't have to hope the front axle engages, it is always ready to go.

Thanks, and yes. PT 4WD and pavement is not a good thing. The way it was always explained to me is a NP242 allows the differing speed to each front tire, where as the NP231 doesn't, which will cause blowing of u-joints.

cykaaro said:
Thanks, and yes. PT 4WD and pavement is not a good thing. The way it was always explained to me is a NP242 allows the differing speed to each front tire, where as the NP231 doesn't, which will cause blowing of u-joints.

Huh?....how does the transfercase split the drive to "each front tire"?

Yes you can drive in PT4WD on pavement,but it is not recomended in FT4WD.A242 is the same thing as a 231 when in 2WD and FT4WD.It's when it's in "part time" that it's diffrent.So having a 231 and a nondisco is fine.

OlyWa

I think what he meant was that the 242 allows for different speeds in the front and rear axles. The only reason the disco was in there is to reduce wear on the front diff and driveshaft and to improve gas mileage. It has nothing to do with exploding U-Joints or whatever.

Back