• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Jeep Grd Cherokee Water Accumulation Driver side mat

gman

NAXJA Forum User
HELP!!!HELP!!!96 Grd Cherokee A/C Condensation accumulating under the diriver's mat. Recently I've added a 1996 Jeep cherokee to the other jeeps I presently own, however, I am having a problem with the accumulation of water under the driver,s side mat. Additionally when I make turns I am hearing water shaking under the dash sounding like it is in a bucket or something, I am assuming maybe it is accumulating because it is not being released as is the case with my Cherokees which is released by a hose at the bottom of the xj on the passenger side. Help me please with any suggestions in locating this hose if there is one!!!:

A minimal amount is found their I do believe it is a few drippings from the a/c black box unit located under the dash on the passenger side. This is too minute to complain about, my real concern is the greater accumulation that is compiled under the passenger side mat.

Thank you for responding!!!!

I have a 97. I had the water on the passenger side, however I experienced the sloshing sound as you described. So, I will assume that the water is coming from the other side. I don't recall if I had any water on the driver's side, having said that-there is a fix from JEEP. It consists of drilling a 1/4 inch hole and running a piece of wire to clean out the drain and plugging the hole with a $3.00 rubber plug from the dealer. I did have pics of the whole thing until just the other day and I deleted them. You've caught me at work at the Fire station without a camera. I will try to locate the JEEP service order for you and if need be tommorow I can send pics of my repair.

http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/TSB/24-06-96.htm

I might add, when I did this, I ran about 4 ft of mehcanics wire into the drain with no results, did it again about 6ft, presto, did the trick. No trouble since.

DSCN0800.jpg

Last edited:
A minimal amount is found their I do believe it is a few drippings from the a/c black box unit located under the dash on the passenger side. This is too minute to complain about, my real concern is the greater accumulation that is compiled under the passenger side mat.

Thank you for responding!!!!

Thank you very much for your submitted response, I will be utilizing this tomorrow morning in my pursuit of rectifying this problem.

All the a/c components are on pass. side. I would almost have to believe you have some type of leak in maybe the firewall, windshield, or door weatherstrips to find water on the drivers side. Have someone blast it with a hose while your inside to check...at least you'll be able to rule that out if not.

Back