• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak rear transfer seal

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
I have an oil leak in my rear transfer seal. It is an 89 242 transfer. I noticed that I could move the outcoming axle a little sideways. Is there some bushing or bearing that I should replace?

Regards
Torfinn

I just did mine on my 88 with a 231. Not hard at all, just make sure you get the right seal. The terminology is a transfer case ouput shaft seal, my reccomendation would be Napa since autozone gave me a bad seal. remove the driveshaft, by pulling the rear U-Joint straps (replace these too), make sure you mark it so it goes back in the same orientation. Push the shaft forward, then out (block front wheels, transmission in nuetral). You will only lose a few drops of ATF, a pan is a good idea to be safe. Carefully pry the old seal out, probably it will tear all apart. Put a small amount of silicone sealant aroung the lip of the new seal, and tap it in carefully. If you have a large socket to fit over it tap it in, great but you can still make it work. Installation is reverse of dissasembly. If you are thinking of replacing the U-joints, now is the time. Let me know if I can be of further help

Ditto for the autozone seal being crap. I dont think it was bad but it was VERY easy to install (wasnt tight against the case or yoke) The Napa seal went in a little harder (better) and no more leaks from it since.

Mike

I know the seal is quite easy to replace. But I was wondering if it is normal to have this sideway play in the output shaft (slip yoke)?

Regards
Torfinn

I just replaced mine with the one from autozone yesterday... Looked good but I think in the last 24 hours I lost most of if not all of my transfercase fluid. Should I just go to napa or is there and other issue deeper in my transfercase? My Dad sais its probibly because the rear shaft is pitted and is wearing the new seal and causing it to leak. Should I head over to napa befor I make any more assumptions? Thanks for any help
-Steve D

Back