• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker Kit for 2000 XJ?

WarnFleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have owned a 1997 xj with a 4.7 stroker. Loved it especially when driving on the street. I was wondering if the stroker kit for a pre-DIS 4.0 would work on the new DIS 4.0.

I'm not sure what your saying.

Do you still have the 97 stroker eng?

Flash.

no I sold it with the truck. What I was wondering is if the distributor ignition engine and 4.0L before 99 is the same as an distributorless ignition 4.0L after 99 have the same internals for a stroker kit.

the stroker kit(258 crank and rods) will bolt up direct with only the snout having to be shortened for the 4.0 harmonic ballancer........on the older 258.

The tough part is deciding on which piston to go with and keeping the compression down or low enough to run 87 fuel.

Flash.

Last edited:
cherokeeproject said:
quick question cuz im about to build a stroker myself... was that 4.7L stroker wiht the .030 overbore or the .060 overbore??

0.030" overbore = 4587cc or 4.6L
0.060" overbore = 4657cc or 4.7L

The answer to the question is that there is no differnce in the block casting of the 4.0L so an 258 crank would bolt into my 2000 4.0L with minor trimming of the snout?
Flash said:
the stroker kit(258 crank and rods) will bolt up direct with only the snout having to be shortened for the 4.0 harmonic ballancer........on the older 258.

The tough part is deciding on which piston to go with and keeping the compression down or low enough to run 87 fuel.

Flash.

WarnFleXJ said:
The answer to the question is that there is no differnce in the block casting of the 4.0L so an 258 crank would bolt into my 2000 4.0L with minor trimming of the snout?

Short answer......YES, NO difference

As far as build the short block, the 258 will fit the same in all 4.0 blocks.........How ever.....don't let me confuse ya here.

The early 4.0 (Renix 87-90) have the thickest cylinder walls (can be bored larger then the newer ones) but the newer ones(your jeep) had a new casting, that has added more stiffening in the crank shaft area.( for NVH )

Flash.

Back