• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking seal

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the shaft seal on my XJ today. Its a 231, new seal by timken. Looked OK after install, but first ride around the block and its throwing ATF all over the place leaking from the shaft area. It went in even, and I lubed it with a little grease first. I replaced it since it was a small drip, now its a big one. Any ideas what went wrong??

I hate to even suggest this but, assuming you got the correct seal, is it possible you installed it backward? Did the seal you were sold have a directional lip?

Yes its directional, and I am 100% sure its installed correctly. I checked the part number Timken and its right. I did use synthetic grease on the driveshaft, maybe that has something to do with it. I am going to pull it apart again today and check.

Seal Problem, resolved!

I sent my wife down to Napa today, to pick me up a new seal. The other (Timken) came out in one piece, and was obviously the wrong one when I tried it over the yoke of the removed driveshaft. It was difficult to tell when installed, there is a hood that extends from the seal. Believe it or not, it was the right part numer for the right trans case. Glad its not leaking anymore...

Back