• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown Stroker - Megasquirt - AEM

FearNoFish

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got the motor to fire but it is evident that I don't have a viable solution for fuel/ignition managment. I am running a Kenne Bell SC but KB stopped producing the Jeep version a few years back. They used to have a reprogramed ECU called the Optimizer II but so far I have not been able to get them to step up to the plate and provide any support for me.

That leaves me to aftermarket solutions. A little searching has come up with two camps. Megasqirt and AEM. From what I can find out, Megasquirt is cheaper but more complicated.

I am calling on help and input from anyone who has experiance in any systems for aftermarket forced induction and fuel managment.

Thanks

FNF

Megasquirt is going to suck for you...unless you/you're...

A. Very computer hardware/software savy
B. Paitent (expect to spend over 100hrs on the system alone)
C. Don't care about your OBD system
D. Driveability (you'll need to tune the system for every possible driving scenario)
E. Have a firm grasp of tuning and installing complete stand alone systems

Megasquirt IS popular in cases where it's been adapted into a plug and play unit and has enough customer backing to give you support along the way. DON'T expect any of that with your jeep.

In other words, I highly reccomend the AEM!

- Keep your factory harness/computer/OBD system, which will retain your factory driveability and simple diagnostics in case something does come up.
- Ability to revert back to stock by simply unplugging the unit and installing a jumper harness.
- Control everything you need and nothing you don't.
- Simple MAP tracing, and O2 logging makings tuning easy

I've been rocking the AEM daily for over a year now on my 99...Not a single problem. :)

FWIW, I'm an EFI101 certified tuner, with over 10 years of tuning experience in the sport compact market. I've tuned Zydne, Megasquirt, AEM FIC, AEM Standalone, Hondata, Neptune, and Apexi AFC. The AEM FIC is by far the simpliest and easy to use that I've ever delt with, and it works!

Bryson,

I've followed your comments in some other similar threads. I think your experiance with AEM carries a lot of weight.
Question: In one reply you call for an AEM 30-1913 which is supposedly for a 2003-05 SRT4.

The 30-1910 (F/IC-6) is a universal. Which is the way to go?

There is also a unit called the Split Second FTC1-019B. It has an internal 2 bar map sensor. It also does fuel and ignition timing. What I really like about it for my tuning challanged purposes is that they can send it out with a base map for my setup. (They have a project jeep with a 4.0 and a Kenne Bell supercharger).

Any pros/cons on the Split Second unit?

FNF

Last edited:
Man I love the 4.0 but for the $ you might consider a late mod. V8 transplant! Yea Iknow BOARING!!! Hey, good luck, love to see it wheel!

Man I love the 4.0 but for the $ you might consider a late mod. V8 transplant! Yea Iknow BOARING!!! Hey, good luck, love to see it wheel!

He already has the engine and supercharger installed. You want him to rip out and put a V8 in?

Bryson,

I've followed your comments in some other similar threads. I think your experiance with AEM carries a lot of weight.
Question: In one reply you call for an AEM 30-1913 which is supposedly for a 2003-05 SRT4.

The 30-1910 (F/IC-6) is a universal. Which is the way to go?

There is also a unit called the Split Second FTC1-019B. It has an internal 2 bar map sensor. It also does fuel and ignition timing. What I really like about it for my tuning challanged purposes is that they can send it out with a base map for my setup. (They have a project jeep with a 4.0 and a Kenne Bell supercharger).

Any pros/cons on the Split Second unit?

FNF

Thanks! The 1913 is the unit you need. The bosch ECU that chrysler uses will cause a CEL with the universal units due to the way the injector drivers work. The 1913 is designed specificlly for the ECU in your rig (split seconds is the same).

The split second is honestly the exact same thing...only it doesn't have the ability to tune low load conditions through O2 sensor offsets, unless they've changed the unit in the last year (very important!) The AEM is much more advanced, and you end up getting more for your money. Some highlights that I like...

- Ability to adjust how MAPs are read by the ECU (TPS based, MAP based, Voltage based...ect)
- Datalogs work with AEM's standalone graphical software. Get the same visuals that you'd find with a full standalone ECU. This is good because your tuner wouldn't have to "learn" some new graph
- O2 voltage offset to tune low load AFR's
- Real time gauges dash. See what values the AEM is receiving, and what values the AEM is putting out.

If your worried about a base map, simply hit me up! If you gave me your specs I can build you a base map in 5 minutes!

The AEM or split second will work for you, I've just been very impressed with capability of the AEM.

He already has the engine and supercharger installed. You want him to rip out and put a V8 in?

How does that not make sense? :doh: lol

I also find it funny how people think a V8 swap is the easy way to get power. To me Easy = less time, less skill required, less fabrication involved. Hrmm... ;)

Thanks! The 1913 is the unit you need. The bosch ECU that chrysler uses will cause a CEL with the universal units due to the way the injector drivers work. The 1913 is designed specificlly for the ECU in your rig (split seconds is the same).

The split second is honestly the exact same thing...only it doesn't have the ability to tune low load conditions through O2 sensor offsets, unless they've changed the unit in the last year (very important!) The AEM is much more advanced, and you end up getting more for your money. Some highlights that I like...

- Ability to adjust how MAPs are read by the ECU (TPS based, MAP based, Voltage based...ect)
- Datalogs work with AEM's standalone graphical software. Get the same visuals that you'd find with a full standalone ECU. This is good because your tuner wouldn't have to "learn" some new graph
- O2 voltage offset to tune low load AFR's
- Real time gauges dash. See what values the AEM is receiving, and what values the AEM is putting out.

If your worried about a base map, simply hit me up! If you gave me your specs I can build you a base map in 5 minutes!

The AEM or split second will work for you, I've just been very impressed with capability of the AEM.

Thanks for the offer of support. I'll place an order for the AEM stuff today. Let me know what you need to set-up a base map. I'd like to be able to just start it up and run @ 2000 to 3000 rpm for cam break-in before I fiddle with tweaking the settings if that makes sense.

FNF

Hey Bryson i have a question for you. something i'm not understanding. If this AEM unit is specifically designed for SRT-4 then it only has 4 injector drivers correct? So i assume this will then convert the jeep from sequential injection to batch fire? or am i missing something?

Watching closely as i have a stroker and eaton m112 waiting to go together.
Dingo

Hey Dingo

Good luck on your build. My mill ran for about 2 minutes before it shut down. (I assume it went from open loop to closed loop) but that was the best feeling engine I ever set behind. I can't wait to fire it up again when I get this fuel thing worked out.

FNF

Hey Dingo

Good luck on your build. My mill ran for about 2 minutes before it shut down. (I assume it went from open loop to closed loop) but that was the best feeling engine I ever set behind. I can't wait to fire it up again when I get this fuel thing worked out.

FNF

Thanks.
It's been a long road and I'm completely on my own in fanning up the brackets and such to make it all work. I havent mentioned much since I'm very slow and I do a ton of research before committing to anything. Please keep us posted on you experience with the AEM fic.

Dingo

Back