• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spedometer Gear?

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ

automatic
part time t case with sye
3.5 inch lift
General Grabber ATX 265/75 R16

My speedometer is off due to my larger tires I have just installed. I was looking at the charts and am not entirely sure which gear I am supposed to purchase. Can anyone help me? Stock Chrysler 8 1/4 rear end nothing done to that. Tires and wheels are the only thing throwing the speedo off. Thanks

My issue is I cant find an exact equivalent to my metric sized tires and was wondering where I could get a gear that would read spot on with no discrepancy

im not sure an exact metric exists. you could get a 30 tooth and maybe read a tad under mph than what your going or step up to the next size and read faster than your really going. as tires wear the size changes and as such I would suggest the latter option.

assuming your using stock 3.55 gears

Only Police Package Certified speedometers are spot on. Straight from the Jeep Factory in Toledo, on the Cherokees birthday, the speedometer was already indicating about 3% low.

Google a metric tire size converter, and buy a speedo gear that is close for the tire size and axle gearing.

T265/75R16
123/120R E
None 3,415 lbs 80 psi 16/32" 54 lbs 7-8" 7.5" 10.5" 8.3" 31.6" 656 US

According to above specs for your tire, it is 31.6" with a tread depth of 16/32, so it potentially wears to 30.6. Base your speedo gear off this, I would recommend basing it on 31" tire size, with 3.55 gears. Problem is there are a bunch of conflicting charts on the internet. Seems 31 or 32 tooth is closest. I would try the 31 tooth.

I would go with the 32t to be a little conservative with your law enforcement officers and it would be easier to justify.

98 XJ

automatic
part time t case with sye
3.5 inch lift
General Grabber ATX 265/75 R16

My speedometer is off due to my larger tires I have just installed. I was looking at the charts and am not entirely sure which gear I am supposed to purchase. Can anyone help me? Stock Chrysler 8 1/4 rear end nothing done to that. Tires and wheels are the only thing throwing the speedo off. Thanks

http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm

Back