• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil and filters

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
What engine oil and filter do you recommend? I was thinking of Mobil 1, and Mobil 1 filters. Just curious. I normally run Havoline 10W-30, with a fram filter. Any Advice, thanks.

Silent

Silent said:
What engine oil and filter do you recommend? I was thinking of Mobil 1, and Mobil 1 filters. Just curious. I normally run Havoline 10W-30, with a fram filter. Any Advice, thanks.

Silent
Recomend? I don't know, but I'll tell you what I use and why...

I use Fram filters because I can depend on their quality. The new filters with the "grips" on them eliminate the need for a filter wrench :sunshine:

Valvoline oil for the same reason, quality I can depend on. 10-30 in the winter and 10-40 in the summer in my vehicle and don't have any wear issues. The fully synthetic is nice stuff and really works. I ran 10-30 synth in a SB Mopar Sedan I had and dropped a consistant .2 sec with no wear issues and it also reduced windage losses. I wouldn't don't bother with the "Durrablend" product as it's just Synthetic mixed with normal oil and I don't think you get the advantages of fully synthetic at a cheaper price.
I have seen too many motors all gunked up inside by the use of Pensoil and other "top" grade oils to ever load the stuff into a engine I own.

I use Napa Gold Filters. They are made by Wix. Very good quality. I also use Napa oil in 10w30. This oil is Valvoline packaged for Napa. HTH. JIM.

My dad was telling me not to switch to a syn, do to some deposits and build ups are good. i.e.: seal leaks, and pistons, and bearings and valves.. I am going how can that junk be good for your engine, and he starts getting mad saying I do not know what I am talking about. I think I am right on the money by switching to Mobil 1 syn oil, and getting a Mobil 1 filter.

Silent

Silent said:
My dad was telling me not to switch to a syn, do to some deposits and build ups are good. i.e.: seal leaks, and pistons, and bearings and valves.. I am going how can that junk be good for your engine, and he starts getting mad saying I do not know what I am talking about. I think I am right on the money by switching to Mobil 1 syn oil, and getting a Mobil 1 filter.

Silent

did it at 96k on mine after I fixed my leaks, including the oil pan gasket.

I use what you want to use, WITHOUT ANY repurcussions.

Valvoline 10w30 Blend oil, Blend gear oil 75/90, Mobil 1 for t-case, stock trans fluid. K&N oil filters or Fram if I can't get a deal on the other.

Silent said:

Silent
This was a problem on older engines when Mobil initially released a synthetic oil. MFGs were still recomending non-detergent oil (most oil available now is) and the engines ran on leaded gas. When users converted to synth, which is detergent oil, it cleaned their engines and disloged junk which got in to where it wasn't suposto go. Your XJ isn't old enough to have run on leaded gas, and likely has always had some flavor of detergent multi-weight oil.

IMO it won't hurt it if you convert to Mobile 1.

I'm another one who had two brand new frams fail within 5 minutes of an oil change. Thats one of the reason I still fire it up and let it run for a few minutes after an oil change. I use Mobil-1, K&N and finally Mopar OEM. Now that we have 3 jeeps that all take the same filter I generally buy em 6 at a time...

Filters: NAPA Gold, Wix, Hastings, Puralator Pure One, Mobil One, Hard Driver (if I can find them), I would use K&N.
Oil: I use Mobil One presently. I used Castrol before with no problems. I use Shell Rotella in the Jeep. I'll switch to Mobil One when the new engine goes in. Other Premium synthetics are Royal Purple, Red Line, Neo to name a few.
Tom

I just switched to full synth on account of the longer oil change intervals. BMW recommends 15,000 mile changes with synthetic, so I figure on at least 7,000 for me. I asked at CarQuest about K&N oil filters, and they recommended just to stick with Fram. They made less money off the Fram but said the K&Ns aren't worth the extra cash. I've used Fram for 6 years in my Tracker, then Trooper, Samurai, and now XJ and never had a problem.

Back