• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 - 1999 XJ

nfm

NAXJA Forum User
My transmission is turning brand new ATF into what looks like burnt 5W-30 in about a week.

I found a transmission from a 1992 XJ at a great price.

Can i use the 1992 transmission on my 1999?

I have heard there are some computer things that might prevent me from doing this.

thanks for the help

You might have some slipping, that will generate a tremendous amount of heat

AFAIK the 92 and 99 trans are the same inside, however the external connectors are different. The NSS can just be moved to the donor and that will fix half of the wiring. For the wires on the transmission itself, I think you need to splice connectors. You can find some info by searching.

The general rule is that the further in years you get from your own, the more work will be required. If you can find 97-01 you will be best off, but you still might have to splice some wires. The only thing that is guaranteed to drop in with no additional work is another 99

How are you changing your fluid? Just emptying the pan and filling it up again? You should disconnect one of the cooler hoses by the rad, run the jeep and have someone fill up with new fluid til it comes out clean. Otherwise your just mixing some new fluid in with a lot of old fluid, hence the dirty color.

Back