• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

California Laws

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'd like to do the Rubicon. I'm concerned with CA laws in regards to vehicles and firearms. The jeep, 90 with recent build cammed Renix/HO hybrid, 241J, 30 with alloy shafts and e-locker, AX-15, 44 with lunch box, cage, bumpers, winch, frame rails and steering box reinforcement, long arms, skids, 35" MT's, has a rear tire carrier, no flares, spacers, lights with no covers. It does have all the air pollution controls mandated for the 90. I tend to drive conservatively, but I know CA is rather more rigorous about enforcing PITA laws. My last trip to CA was in 1974. :)

Im not sure what your question is honestly ? But you'll be fine. You can have a firearm in your car, pretty sure unless you have a Conceal and Carry permit you cant have it loaded, must be stored separately of the ammunition, in the trunk.

and if my rig doesn't get pulled over all the time (it never does ) you have nothing to worry about .

One of there nice things about California (yes, there are nice things about California) is that cops don't hassle people unreasonably about modified Jeeps. I wouldn't expect to get pulled over unless I was being stupid.

Any handgun in the vehicle needs to be in the trunk or, if the vehicle has no trunk, in a locked container. Basically, that's so you can't grab it readily in the event of sudden road rage.

Nimrod has it right. In the trunk or locked container. Locked container cannot be part of the vehicle so no glove box. Think of a handgun case with a hole in it to place a lock on it or a portable handgun case/safe that uses a fingerprint to unlock. Ammo can be in magazine but not in the firearm. I prefer to keep magazine empty just to avoid any unnecessary issues.

In the free world of CO Spgs, I may have a concealed, loaded handgun. It looks like if I did the trip, I'd have to resign my school gig, mandatory first meeting is August 7.

Back