• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

learn from others

mikie2084

NAXJA Forum User
when you are working on your rig WHERE EYE PROTECTION! i was trying to take my gas tank out to fix the fuel pump, well i ended up at the ER with a pea sized scratch on my eye! I have never felt so much pain! So not only can i not see a thing and I'am in pain, I drive a stand up forklift at walmart distrubution and have to miss work! EYE PROTECTION!!!! EYE PROTECTION!!! EYE PROTECTION!!!

XJ fuel pumps will come out without removing the tank, I have done this several times on my older XJ's, never messed with the 97+ fuel pump though.

I hate to hear that you got hurt and X a billion on eye protection, God only gave us 2, :eyes: take care of them.

But I can't see anything through those stupid things. It seems like they get all scratched the second you put them on. Goggles fog up. Glasses let shit in around the outsides. On multiple occasions I have been under the jeep WITH safety glasses and some speck of dirt fell on my forehead or cheek and rolled right into my eye. I even had some crud fall into my goggles through the vent and into my eye.

Can somebody please direct me to safety glasses or goggles that don't fog, don't get scratched, and don't let junk in around the edges?

Try treating your safety glasses the same way you'd treat a pair of 200 dollar sun glasses. The glasss get scratched up because they get thrown in the tool box/on the ground/on the bench/etc. when not in use. Ever notice that anay glasses will almost always roll lens side down if you drop them?

I use the cheap AO safety glasses for the usual stuff. Any time I break out the angle grinder or sanders, I use a full face shield.(and yes, it fogs up) You could try treating the inside of the glasses with Rainex anti-fog.

Anti fog liquid/polish ftw!

I had to use a cut-off wheel to remove a stuborn bolt. I remembered this story from this morning and went back and got the goggles out.
Sorry about your accedent. Hope you get well soon.

I had a customer let go of a small spring and it hit me right in the eye, it still hurts most mornings and this was 2 years ago. Make sure you keep up with the eye drops till they are gone, don't stop when it starts to feel better. Eyeballs don't heal very fast.

Good luck!

Eyeballs don't heal very fast.

Good luck!

+1 on the drops. Scratches on the eyeball hurt. Its like having a dull hangover till it is better.

However, I was under the impression that the eyeball is one of the fastest healing parts of the body. Its one of the things that makes vision correction surgery feasible.

my scratch is still there, if my eyes get real dry (too much time in the wind or the sun) it hurts every time my eyelid moves. my scratch is 6mm above the iris on my eight eye, in the sclera (white part).

it hurts like hell sometimes still 2 years later, like there is a small rock or a really big eyelash in there.. I have to head inside and flush it with saline for 15 mins or so to get it to go away.:dunno:

Hmm, well the AF does not pay me to be a eye doc. Thought I read it or saw it somewhere.

I had a pretty bad one when I was a freshman in HS. Right across the iris of my right eye. Dr put a paste in it and put a bandage on that eye for 3 days. It completely healed. I went though a Celioplegic (sp) eye exam, which hurts like a bitch btw, during my first aviation physical (5 years later); and they never even had the hint that it had happened. Maybe it is a case by case thing.

MORAL: Wear your XXXXing eye protection.

I could be wrong as well, I'll add that I didn't bandage it like I was supposed to and didn't stick to the drops at the correct time intervals - may have had something to do with it :D

Maybe, I know people who have had problems after lasik because they did not use the drops all the way and at the right times.

The stuff they put in my eye before they patched it looked like vasoline. it was thick, and cold. Felt great on my eyeball though.

I could be wrong as well, I'll add that I didn't bandage it like I was supposed to and didn't stick to the drops at the correct time intervals - may have had something to do with it :D
My experience was with ear protection:dunce:(that damage never heals, dammit) Lesson: Pay attention to the safety stuff. All sounds boring and useless until you find out it's permanent.

Lesson: Pay attention to the safety stuff. All sounds boring and useless until you find out it's permanent.

indeed.

I'm over 30 now, my invincibility is wearing off and being replaced by a paranoia that everything is going to kill me :D

I only have sight in one eye and I am still a dumbass and forget to use eye protection.

about two years ago I had a metal sliver in my eye removed at the ER.

glad to see threads like this as reminders.

BOB

Been there done that, a fleck of metal went 30% of the way through my cornea... insurance company spent a few grand at the ER taking it out. I was on steroids (prednisone eyedrops), ointment (sucked to put that in 3x a day), and a few other eyedrops. When they check my eyes they can still see the little tiny mark left by it that will never heal.

The next time it happened (one found its way around my face mask, probably bounced off my shirt, didn't hit anywhere near as hard so it was closer to the surface) I recognized that itchy/uncomfortable feeling the next morning and solved the problem myself - stuck a large smooth-cornered rare earth magnet out of an old hard drive in the finger of a sterile glove, found where the metal was by looking in the mirror, and removed it by very carefully holding my eyelids open and applying the magnet like a contact lens. It sucked to do, but the discomfort stopped within a few minutes and I couldn't even tell it had happened by lunchtime. If you do this yourself, make sure it's a sterile glove and a very smooth cornered magnet, don't scrub just apply and remove, and don't sue me... I am not a medical professional :dunce:

But I can't see anything through those stupid things. It seems like they get all scratched the second you put them on. Goggles fog up. Glasses let shit in around the outsides. On multiple occasions I have been under the jeep WITH safety glasses and some speck of dirt fell on my forehead or cheek and rolled right into my eye. I even had some crud fall into my goggles through the vent and into my eye.

Can somebody please direct me to safety glasses or goggles that don't fog, don't get scratched, and don't let junk in around the edges?
I honestly don't give a damn if stuff rolls into my eye, not a big deal, hurts, wash it out, continue to work on jeep. It's the stuff that comes flying off a power tool and embeds itself in my eye that I care about - doesn't come out quite so easy!

I buy 5 dollar semi-disposable face shields at Harbor Freight now - they cover your whole face, use em for a day or two and when they get too scratched up, throw them out and grab another one. I calculated it out and I can throw one out every day (even when I don't work on the jeep that day) for over two years before it costs as much as the ER did for that one bit of metal, AND I won't go through that pain again, AND that was a discounted rate because my insurance company paid for it. It's just not worth risking.

My experience was with ear protection:dunce:(that damage never heals, dammit) Lesson: Pay attention to the safety stuff. All sounds boring and useless until you find out it's permanent.
Yeah... I never used to use that either, I grew up hammering on bits of metal wishing I was a blacksmith. My ears ring 24/7 now. Buy disposable earplugs, it's like 15 bucks at Lowes for an 80-pack, roll them between your fingers before putting them in and they'll block noise really well and never fall out. They also keep bits of metal and dirt and crap from falling into your ears.

I've used the magnet in the glove trick twice, once on me and once on someone else. Works great - as long as its metal that you're pulling out :D

Dad has a face mask that I really want to get. It is a full mask with a foam edge and a blower at the top. Blows air down through te mask to keep it clear and your face cool. Works well for sand grinding and all sorts of stuff.

Back