• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Copper/brass heater core for less than $400?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone other than Mopar make a copper or brass heater core for for a 97-01 for a decent price? Mopar runs near $400!!!!! I put in a Spectra aluminum one and I think it already sprung a leak after only 8 months! Yeah it has a warranty but for god sakes I don't want to do that horrible install again!

Since nobody chimed in, I called my local radiator shop to see if they could make a new copper or brass core from scratch it I brought them my original one to model it after. After talking on the phone with the guy for a couple of minutes he asked if he could put me on hold to check on something. He comes back and says he can get me a copper core for my Jeep for $65!!!! I was amazed! So there is a company called Thermal Solutions Manufacturing that makes radiators and heater cores and they still make some of their cores out of copper! I will be picking up a new one and eventually swapping out this junk Spectra aluminum core so a OE grade copper core.

The onix-ada ones have a 5 year warranty. I know some of their stuff isn't the best but mines held up for a year and about chokes me with the heat All the way and blower on 2. eBay for $100 or less. Think I found mine for about $60 or so

Hey, if anyone orders one of these new copper heater cores, please get back here and
let us know and post a product review here!

My 1998 has been without a heater for years because of a leak. I am very dubious about
throwing an aluminum core in there given all of the work that it takes to swap them.

Years ago, I bought a used OEM copper core from a self-pick yard. I had it cleaned and
pressure-tested and is ready to go in, but I think I'd rather put in a completely new unit
if one is available at a reasonable cost.

Good info here.

I put a dealer one in mine earlier this year. I think it was about $230-260. I didn't know about the $65 alternative, but I figure for the labor involved, dealer parts usually work better than the el cheapos at Mc Parts. We need the heater core here in Colorado.

So Thermal Solutions is still showing it in their catalogue. The unit is sold under the name Vista Pro, same part #399233. Seems a lot of places are showing it out of stock so you may have to call around or I would call Thermal Solutions direct and ask them what’s the deal.

I've had good luck installing the aluminum heater cores on a lot of different cars but the biggest problem I've seen is the inlet and outlet tubes can be a little bit smaller. If using something like the or spring clamp I've had them leak from the hose and run back into the cab. I started double clamping them with screw clamps and then ok. May not be your problem but something to check. Pretty much everything newer now is aluminum, so I wouldn't totally condemn it just because it's made from that. Seen many people install expensive copper radiators and heater cores only to have them leak a few months later.

I guess it’s a crap shoot, hoping you get a good heater core

I also have a 97 parts XJ — I have no idea of the status of the heater core but I was thinking of pulling that core and having it cleaned and tested at a radiator shop — if it tests good then maybe I’ll use that — this is assuming it’s a mopar in there now and not a replacement

Either way I have to do something before the cold sets in, I’m getting a steamy “ghost” on my windshield just above the left side of the defrost vent — nothing on the floor that I can find but I would think it’s only a matter of time

So Thermal Solutions is still showing it in their catalogue. The unit is sold under the name Vista Pro, same part #399233. Seems a lot of places are showing it out of stock so you may have to call around or I would call Thermal Solutions direct and ask them what’s the deal.

I’ll try thermal solutions in the morning if I remember...

I've had good luck installing the aluminum heater cores on a lot of different cars but the biggest problem I've seen is the inlet and outlet tubes can be a little bit smaller. If using something like the or spring clamp I've had them leak from the hose and run back into the cab. I started double clamping them with screw clamps and then ok. May not be your problem but something to check. Pretty much everything newer now is aluminum, so I wouldn't totally condemn it just because it's made from that. Seen many people install expensive copper radiators and heater cores only to have them leak a few months later.

I don't think there's a problem with aluminum heater cores in vehicles engineered for aluminum. A vehicle designed for a copper heater core would likely have less heating capability if an aluminum replacement of the same size is used.

So I did call thermal solutions today — 399233 is a good part number and they do have them in stock — unfortunately I was not allowed to order direct from them

I was told, 1800 radiator, oreillys, Napa are all dealers of their product

I’ll try the local Napa in the morning

15 minutes later, that part number doesn’t come up and any of those websites — Napa redirects to the spectra aluminum, 1800 radiator has no web presence — no way to search, oreillys says part number doesn’t exist

I’m not sure how this is going to play out...

Last edited:
So finally found someone willing to sell me a Heater core from Thermal solutions -- took me 2 calls to thermal solutions, with the 2nd call actually getting someone helpful in their customer service department -- he hooked me up with a company called Radiator Supreme out of bergenfield, NJ -- they just refuse to sell direct

Just got off the phone with Dan at Radiator supreme -- They actually have 399233 in stock and I have a brass/copper heater core coming from one of their stores in Ohio -- $94 plus $18 shipping

We'll see what happens when it gets here -- said it will ship today and I should see it by the end of the week

Heater core is here I'll hold off comment till after some answers to my next question

Is the heater core in the 2000 XJ supposed to be square or is it supposed to be a parallelogram?

https://solvemymaths.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/geometric-shape-names-basic-1150.jpg

If you click on that link it has pictures of some shapes -- The heater core I was sent looks like a parallelogram like on the top row far right in the linked picture

I thought it is supposed to be square

I'll post pictures of the actual heater core and it's packaging later today

Back