• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 inner axle seals

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I’m seeing maaaany different things on the interweb. For instance, a pass and a driver side that look different- it was same part on my ZJ. Yes I’m looking at non disco. Autozone shows a mixed bag... and oddly the seal they have is for 88-96.. like what magically changed in 97 on the decades old Dana 30 seal?

If someone can lend a hand with part numbers that’d be above and beyond.

Part preferred will be cool too, as in spicer or this or that brand.

Thanks in advance

SPECIFICATIONS

Omix-Ada | Part Number: OAI16526.02
Position:Front Left Inner
Fitment:Direct Fit

Like this, front left inner... just get 2 right?

They are the same for both sides.... National/Timken #710068

Strangely worded, tha k you for confirmation.

Do you pack yours with grease? I never have... The old ones appear to be tho-

picture.php

I have heard of packing them with grease. I would like to know why.

The sealing surface of the seal can be lightly lubricated before installing the axle, to let the axle slide in easily, hopefully not damaging the seal in the process.
It's not difficult to damage the seal.

I got solid axle on my dana 30, the disconnect system removed, so I have manual lock hubs now. The seals used on mine are different left to right. the left is stock, looks like a nice double lip seal, with a funnel to guide the axle during install. the right side is not stock, and is a single lip seal. the outside diameter of the two seals are different. The right aftermarket seal is leaking now, a real bummer. I have not been able to find a double lips seal for this side. I sure want one however.
What options are their for a better seal on this side?

thanks!

Good deal!
Even with the edit function I still manage to post some head scratchers.. my baaad

Fwiw I found these outer axle seals on the cheap!

I’ve seen them as high as like 80 bucks

https://www.allstategear.com/Dana-30-Dana-44-TJ-Outer-Axle-Tube-Seal-Kit-Red-p/sk22102-r.htm

Note that those have their pros and cons. The biggest con is that they can trap water inside your axle tubes. Worst case scenario is if you have to turn the steering wheel while in a water crossing. The axles do not stay perfectly centered in the tubes while steering and the gap that can open up can allow water into the tubes and then never let it back out.

That said, I am running a pair of those and they do an excellent job of keeping dust and grit out of the axle housing. I have yet to find water in my tubes, but my axles are nice and clean when I pull them out.

I live in a desert. Water crossings are not a common occurence in my life. YMMV.

Note that those have their pros and cons. The biggest con is that they can trap water inside your axle tubes. Worst case scenario is if you have to turn the steering wheel while in a water crossing. The axles do not stay perfectly centered in the tubes while steering and the gap that can open up can allow water into the tubes and then never let it back out.

I live in a desert. Water crossings are not a common occurence in my life. YMMV.

X2, plus I live in the desert also!

Good call! Makes perfect sense.. I’m FROM the desert, NM, and water crossings were actually fairly common, depending where you wheel. Keeping the wheels straight helps avoid opening the flood gates? That and greasing them before the run I’m sure helps? If I do get into any water it ain’t hard to pull em and check I guuuuuess. I’m not a fan of water in places it don’t belong i.e. tranny in particular
It was more of a while I have the axle apart purchase- the plastic little seals, if you wanna call them that, were broke and not doing their job anymore.

Do you guys polish your shafts before install? I’m OCD and feel the need to shine the length of it.. but I’ve seen videos of some grimey looking shafts being installed into these things and likely hurting that seal out the gate

I wouldn't say "polish", but I did take the time to clean off all the rust and grit with some sandpaper.

What is on the inside of the seals should be in excellent shape, but what was outside was grungy on mine. It didn't take long to clean them up. Now running those outer seals they have stayed pretty clean. No new rust.

Same seals I picked up...from 4wheel parts locally tho

Back