• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj auto no crank, good battery

smalltownbird

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, drove my jeep today and everything was good. For a little while now it has been starting with a couple of extra cranks, but it has been really cold out. So today I drove it and on the way home the brakes were squeaking so right before I stopped in front of my house I hit the brakes hard really quick, then drove the 200 feet or so and parked. I went to leave about 2 hours later and it won't crank. The radio turns on, the battery guage shows that everything is charged, it doesn't even click.
I climbed under the Jeep and jumped the starter wires with the ign to run and all I got were sparks. I then jumped the starter relay pins 30 and 87 and again sparks but no start. I am at a loss. Can someone please help. I have to drive this to work in the morning.

Preston

I've tried starting it in any gear. Wouldn't jumping the starter relay and jumping the two wires on the starter make it start no matter what conditions as long as the battery is good?

Ok so I just tried it again (I was going to bang on the starter, but decided to try it first) and it started up. It was a little slow because the battery had gone low with all the time I tried earlier. I let it run for a bit and cut it off and on 3 times. It started slow like usual but started. Can it be the starter? I saw a little bit of oil dripping off the oil filter onto the starter, maybe that effected it?

Preston

Could easily be the starter. It would help to know if the starter drew current when it was not starting at all. If it did, then it might be binding from a worn-out bushing, and that might also explain the slow starting later. If no current draw, it might be a bad solenoid or brushes.

Before doing anything else, you should make sure all battery connections and cables are good. That includes cleaning the terminals even if you don't see anything the matter. If problems persist, then I think it's time to test the starter.

Pull the starter and have it tested.

Back