• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow to shift from 2nd to 3rd--What should I be looking for?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, 4.0L and a slushbox.

Slushboxes are not my thing. Largely because they do things on their own terms, not mine. This one has decided that the 2-3 shift should occur around 3250 RPMs. Other shifts are all at reasonable RPMS. (Normal driving, not agressive)

Google is not bringing me any reasonable resources for answers. Again, Google does what it wants, not what I want.

I have found information about the TV cable. Adjusted that. No change in the situation.

Found one person who apparently solved a similar problem by replacing a broken spring on a detent cable, but follow up questions about the location of said spring were not answered and I can't tell what or where this particular spring is, nor am I sure it would make sense for my situation given that I only have a shift issue with one gear change and not the others.

I would expect this to be something such as a shift solenoid, but I cannot find any information about this possibility. Does this transmission (42re?) even have such electronics in it?

Any suggestions on what to look for or even keywords under which to search?

Just for the sake of completeness, what about checking the vehicle speed sensor(s)?

Couple years ago the one on my VW went out, I went from normal shifts to all shifts being harsh and at about 3200-3300 RPM.

I'd expect a sensor failure to affect all shifting, but I don't know how many are on that trans or how the TCU uses them.

Back