NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 6th, 2009, 19:32
NAXJA Forum User

NEED HELP WITH STEERING SHAFT

Alright guys, I'm about at wits end here so maybe one of you guys can save my sanity. I bought this part ( http://www.quadratec.com/products/56113_04.htm ) to replace mine that had worn out. It is the shaft that connects the steering column to the power steering... kind of important. Problem is, it came about an inch too short to bolt up properly. Some of the people on other forums have pointed that it is telescopic and it certainly looks that way but no amount of pulling, compressing, hammering or 2 man yanking can get it to budge either way. Please please please tell me there is a secret to getting this thing to move. I'm trying to get my jeep back together tonight so I can go home to see my mom and this is the only thing preventing me from doing that. Any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated!
Old January 6th, 2009, 20:22
NAXJA Forum User

Re: NEED HELP WITH STEERING SHAFT

the picture is hard for me to see its too dark.. but what year jeep is it and is this the piece that goes into the steering box?
Old January 6th, 2009, 20:33
NAXJA Forum User

Oh my bad, it's a 93 cherokee and yeah it goes into the steering box. About an inch too short though.
Old January 6th, 2009, 20:34
NAXJA Forum User

Have you tried calling quadratech and explaining the problem to them? Most likely the problem is with their part which may or may not be identical to the OEM part from Jeep. Some aftermarket parts that you buy are "will fit" parts and not direct replacements. Either way I think a phone call to Quadratech is the next step.
Old January 7th, 2009, 14:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quadratec said maybe the part is defective so they're shipping one out monday. Yay more waiting. )))))))))))))))

edit: But to Quadratec's credit they are replacing it for free and did it with no hassle. So they'll probably at least get some more of my business in the future.
Old January 7th, 2009, 22:18
NAXJA Forum User

I dont think that part is telescopic. you have extend the part that comes out the firewall (steering column) before you connect this piece.

Last edited by cambosoup99; January 7th, 2009 at 22:40.