• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping front wheel

ken johnson

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my left front wheel bearing hub assemby on my 89xj, 4wd, auto,select trac. The vibration & roaring is gone. Now I'm getting a popping or clicking sound when making slow turns, like parking, pulling out of the drive etc. Any one have an idea to help me diagnois and fix.

Thanks

First, make sure that the wheel nut and all hub assembly to steering knuckle bolts aren't loose.

I have also read that this can happen if you replace a wheel bearing/hub assembly with a cheap aftermarket one made in China. Only way to fix it is to replace it with a more expensive one made in the USA.

Mine was u. joints. I just finished them today--noise is all gone. Some of the needle bearings were broken in half, and some I couldn't account for. With mine there was very little warning--one day it just started popping/clicking in slow, tight turns.

Check this. I have seen a cheap hub, where the studs donot have the proper shoulder. So the rotor can actually move slightly. A change in direction can create a knock. If you take off the wheel you will see the rotor is actually riding on threads, and may have a little slop.

Retorque the nuts and bolts. Like BrokenXJ mentioned, many of these tightly fitted pieces like hubs, wheel studs, etc. Won't seat 100% on initial torqueing down, the driving will create the force to fulled seat them, and thus loosen the bolt and create slop. So go back and retorque all the nuts and bolts. If the bolt/nut does NOT turn before hitting torque, than it was fully seated, if the bolt/nut does turn before hitting torque (called breaking torque), then it was NOT fully seated and may move again before fully seating. If any nut/bolt breaks torque, go back after another 100 miles of driving and repeat the process until none of the bolts/nuts break torque.

Back